• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Carb+5.0+PATS=?

Truckinmario

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
i have in my garage a rebuilt 5.0, brand new internals that's carb'd. I'm planning to put this in my 99 explorer. Given the pats system will largely remain untouched, everything should work since the engine will (obviously) not have an ecm.

Is this correct, or am I way off base and need to reconsider and a find a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Convert the truck to carb and you won't have any issues with pats after you run your 1 starter signal wire. Or you take all the carb junk off and replace it with the explorer intake and sensors then the computer can stay untouched.

Truckinmario

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
Thanks! That's what I was curious about!

VR4

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer
Convert the truck to carb and you won't have any issues with pats after you run your 1 starter signal wire. Or you take all the carb junk off and replace it with the explorer intake and sensors then the computer can stay untouched.
Best option. Put the carb junk on Craigslist.

96ex5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
I love my carb swap, are you using the stock trans? If do you have to keep the computer it tells it when to shift.

Truckinmario

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
If I use this motor in going to use a t-5 instead of the auto.