• Register Today It's free!

Carbon Canister Bracket Condition

bigredexplo88

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Figured id show everyone my most recent job on my explorer. A few weeks back i had removed my spare tire because i had planned to get Dual Exuast Installed on my 1997 Ford Explorer. After removing the tire a black box looking thing with fuel lines comming outta it was hanging on top. After doing some research i realized that black box thing was my Carbon Canister. The bracket had a gapping hole in it and was so weak i could push my finger through it!. Seems to be common for the bracket to rust through especially since the explorers at the Graveyard had rusty not good looking Brackets. But i managed to find one after all that i could refurbish. Sprayed with 3 coats of Primer and Rust-Oleium Spray can Rubberized Undercoat.(didnt think you could get in a spray can) Check out the differences!!

What was left of the Original
IMG00185-20100817-1804.jpg

Refurbished Bracket
IMG00184-20100817-1804.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice save! Pictures like those amaze me. You just don't see that kind of rust in CA.

What is the point of the Carbon Canister?

Can't save mine

Anyone have any clue what the part # is or what I can do to remedy this? Mine is in multiple pieces and when you touch it, it just crumbles away.

F57Z-9D665-BA Lists for $177.60 from a dealer.

I replaced mine last year, wasn't quite that bad. I got mine from a vendor on the forum,ped5stang. He has a thread on here and has a ton of parts. I think I paid about $20.

I'm in the same boat. Had to replace the rear axle seals and bearings. While doing so, I noticed the vapor canister bracket was practically gone. Part No F6RZ-9D665-AD.

Dealer wants $117 for it. Lowest I saw on the web was $113. The Chinese should come up with a plastic version.

I'm thinking it will be fine without the bracket as the canisters appera very lightweight. And the spare tire is right underneath to protect it.

eBay appears to have similar items but not pictures are not the same.

Anyone have any leads please post. Thanks.

I picked up one from a forum vendor(either kbabiak or ped5stang, don't remember which). I'm sure I paid around $20-30 shipped. See Previous Post. Also the replacement part was an OEM part and was plastic. I think Ford realized the err of their design and in later versions changed to plastic. Hope the info helps. I'll forget I read the part about the chinese....

I picked up one from a forum vendor(either kbabiak or ped5stang, don't remember which). I'm sure I paid around $20-30 shipped. See Previous Post. Also the replacement part was an OEM part and was plastic. I think Ford realized the err of their design and in later versions changed to plastic. Hope the info helps. I'll forget I read the part about the chinese....

Thanks. I realized I can't search yet since I dont have that many posts. So I cant search for those 2 members.

Go to the classified section, Explorer Forum Vendors. Both of those guys have threads there.

Back