Cargo area cover (Dog use) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area cover (Dog use)

Reaction score
City, State
N Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 Explorer limited
I am new here and I have scanned through some of the post that recommend Husky and weathertech cover for the cargo area. I am interested in a cargo cover for my '12 Explorer that protects the back of the 2nd row seats. Mainly I would like to keep everything as dog hair free as possible. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum,
wet okole seems to make great seat covers. They are a type of neoprene (similar to scuba dive suits) and according to reviews a very very popular item as they fit very well, look great, and have great durability. The are custom sized to your setup so its an extensive order process online.

They do also come at a price though. i would consider researching them and reviews. They are about as top of the line as you can get from a seat cover perspective.

Reviews claim they protect very well, easy to install and remove, and washable with soap and water.

http://www.wetokole.com/

wait you were looking for something to cover the seat backs when you lay them flat? or actual seat covers to allow your dog to sit in the second row?

My boxador monster rides in the second row =)

Interesting how confusing something can be. I am interested in something for the cargo area that covers the cargo area AND the back of the 2nd row seat (so the 3rd row seats are stowed). So when my dog rubs up against the back of the seat they are protected from her hair. The back of the seats are fuzzy not leather.
I am sure that is a clear as mud. Maybe a seat cover is the only option with a weather tech cargo cover.

ohhh. gotcha. okay, well i had that same issue and my quick fix was promoting the pup up a row. it is very annoying to have to vac all that hair out of the carpeting.

The seat covers i suggested completely wrap all sides of the seats, so that could be an option, if the pocket book is full right now.

I have two labs and use the K&H Quilted Cargo Cover combined with a Midwest Wire Mesh Car Barrier, and it works great. I have used it on several trips 6+ hours and haven't had any issues. It even has a fold down flap to cover the back of the X when the dogs get in and out. Can be had from amazon for a little over $100 for the pair. If you get the cage, head down to Lowes and get new hardware, the stuff it ships with isn't that good.

Welcome to the forum, we have. French Bulldog, they shed bad, so we promoted her to the second row on a pet sling that attaches to the front row headrests and second row headrests ( creates sling type mat). This very nice and you can go to any Camping World, or there web site and order, it also zippers in te middle for seat use if needed. Easy to clean or vacumn off.

We just got done with a 1600 round trip with two pups (one black, one tan) Quick temp solution: Fitted twin mattress sheet. 2nd row was down. It could have been up... either way, minimal hair everywhere... no sheet.

Wow thanks I am going to check out the K&H Quilted Cargo Cover. With 2 car seats in the second row, her being promoted to the 2nd row, really would be a demotion.

I am new here and I have scanned through some of the post that recommend Husky and weathertech cover for the cargo area. I am interested in a cargo cover for my '12 Explorer that protects the back of the 2nd row seats. Mainly I would like to keep everything as dog hair free as possible. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks

Welcome aboard!!
Both of the cargo liners would work well.
We also have a huge pet travel section to help protect the interior of your car. My favorite is the window guard...

kurgo_car_door_guard_khaki.jpg

canine_cargo_cover_seatup_dog.jpg

kurgo_wander_dog_hammock.jpg

Can this cover be used w/ the 2nd row folded flat? It looks great, thanks for the link.

I have only used it with the third row folded, while the mat does have extra material to protect the bumper when the dogs get in and out it's not enough to make up the space that you get from dropping the 2nd row.

The one thing that I really like about this product is that it covers not only the bottom and the front of the cargo area, but also the sides. It does ship with some cheap Velcro so I went out and picked up some good stuff and now it stays put.

I have only used it with the third row folded, while the mat does have extra material to protect the bumper when the dogs get in and out it's not enough to make up the space that you get from dropping the 2nd row.

The one thing that I really like about this product is that it covers not only the bottom and the front of the cargo area, but also the sides. It does ship with some cheap Velcro so I went out and picked up some good stuff and now it stays put.

Thanks for the answer .... I think I will be creating a custom cover that fits my needs.. I need it to protect the sides, and lay all the way up on the second row backs when they are down..

I created a model for a cover I'm going to make.
It will likely be out of polyester w/ plastic backing on the top, and bottom, poly filling, so it would be padded, and waterproof. It will have rope/string anchors on all corners for securing in place. (not a fan of velcro).

I'm going to do mine black to match the interior of the new Sport, but could do it in a variety of different colors.

Would anyone else be interested? And assuming that the fit and quality is acceptable when I'm finished how much would you be willing to pay for one?

Model
carcover1.png

carcover2.png

Miniature to scale POC
carcoverPOC.jpg

Did you sew a little mock-up?

Looks pretty good. I'd be interested in seeing the finished product installed to see exactly what is covered.

Looks pretty good. I'd be interested in seeing the finished product installed to see exactly what is covered.

gonna take me a while to figure out exactly what materials I want to use... and I don't really need to have it finished until the Sport arrives which isn't until mid-late september it appears. I'm leaning toward having my mother do the actual stitching on her machine, she has a great deal more sewing/quilting experience than I do. I sent her the models last night, the mockup is what she sent me back this morning with some scrap fabric she had laying around.

I'll ask the question about interest again when I have a completed one for pictures :)

Back