• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area lighting upgrade?

Dprestidge

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer, Limited
Is there any way of getting more light in the cargo area? Has small light on side and small round light above. Just not enough light. Are these LEDs or bulbs? 2018 Limited. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same EXP. I changed the back bulb to an LED, Huge difference.

Is there any way of getting more light in the cargo area? Has small light on side and small round light above. Just not enough light. Are these LEDs or bulbs? 2018 Limited. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Despite what your Manual shows on page 300, these are not LED according to several posts received from members. The only way to get more light is to change them to LED or add an additional light such as those 'stick-on' types you can find at automotive or hardware stores.

Peter

I have the same EXP. I changed the back bulb to an LED, Huge difference.

Are you referring to the one closer to the floor of the trunk? What bulb did you use. Been meaning myself to replace mine as well. I know you can do the one the ceiling but requires much much more work.

I used this one from Amazon.

44mm Festoon LED. Yes the one on the left side when you're. Pops out easily.

Changed all my interior bulbs to LED's and installed this 570 lumen unit for the cargo area.

ce9b8fdf-738e-4d0c-aa8b-7d2ac76a6a70._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.png

I got LED’s on Amazon for the one on bottom left. The one in the ceiling is already a LED, unchangable, it’s way to dim.

I got LED’s on Amazon for the one on bottom left. The one in the ceiling is already a LED, unchangable, it’s way to dim.
If you are going by the Owner's Manual to determine the type of light in the ceiling of the cargo area, apparently it is wrong. Many members here have indicated it is not an LED nor is the lower one that you replaced.

Peter

If you are going by the Owner's Manual to determine the type of light in the ceiling of the cargo area, apparently it is wrong. Many members here have indicated it is not an LED nor is the lower one that you replaced.

Peter

It is an LED in my '18 Platinum.

It is non-serviceable, hence the procedure to gut it and begin again.

Oddly enough, the emitter in the OEM unit is in the 3500K range, much yellower than the 194's in the other fixtures. Go figure.

Now mine are all 6000K, bright white (not bluish) and light things up well at night. I want to see what I have dropped rather than to look cool.

D038D907-BE89-460F-8BF1-DEA87E0767C1.jpeg

D1AAEFDA-7DA4-43DB-BE20-4888F5AC1934.jpeg

BE1EB2C8-978D-45F7-BD68-059CD93F6B22.jpeg

I took these pieces out and replaced with reflector from old flashlight. Had to trim reflector with Dremel to fit the lens. Trimmed the back of reflector to fit bulb. Now I have light the size of the clear lens. Lights up whole back. Thanks for the help. This is a great mod. Don’t know why Ford didn’t put more light back there. Wish I had thought to take pics while I was doing the mod.

20190419_110340.jpg
20190419_110335.jpg
20190419_110354.jpg
20190419_110348.jpg

I took it one step further and eliminated the 3 parts and took an old flashlight reflector and modified it to fit . It fits perfectly and now the light is ridiculously bright. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

1E0A8AE9-9E61-43AF-92DE-108CE9E25F7D.png

For those that don’t feel comfortable doing this, you might try this.

That’s exactly what I did.
lol, yeah I must have read your post quick, didn't realize that you posted same. Great minds think alike I guess. It is a real cargo light now.. even the new explorers with led's aren't very bright compared with the ones replacing halogens. I drove a new 2019 limited and it has led's, but way dimmer.

lol, yeah I must have read your post quick, didn't realize that you posted same. Great minds think alike I guess. It is a real cargo light now.. even the new explorers with led's aren't very bright compared with the ones replacing halogens. I drove a new 2019 limited and it has led's, but way dimmer.

Yeah, that flashlight reflector money. My ‘18 had the single LED now it has 12 LEDs and a full reflector. Works great! I also posted where to buy one already done.

I drove a 2018 limited and they actually put led's in it, but they aren't very bright. I think being able to put bulbs in at the size of the old halogens are waaay brighter.

Are you sure they are LED? The Owner's Manual says so but several owners have said they are not.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure they are LED? The Owner's Manual says so but several owners have said they are not.

Peter
The only LEDs on my ‘18 Limited are the dome lights over second and third row. I changed out all the rest with LEDs. The map lights, vanity mirror lights, and cargo light on left side close to floor are reg bulbs. Hope that helps.

Back