cargo box/bed

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
Hey guys,

I'm looking to build/create something that I can put in the cargo of my mountaineer to make it in a way like a truck bed... I want to not worry about what I throw back there (aka paint cans, dirty boots, the dog ect)

It has the stock cargo mat back there and yes I could get a heavy duty cargo mat but that doesn't protect the back of my seats, plastic trim or much of anything besides the floor. I considered just tearing up the carpet and herculiner'ing the cargo area but I'm trying to find a less destructive method. So I'm thinking my best bet is to build a box,

I want to build something sturdy and big enough to fill my cargo area and utilize as much space as possible. I also don't want it to be extremely heavy. I'm thinking of using some plywood and doing some non slip strips or bed liner on the bottom.

I made a quick draw up

ih09b4.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a front lip to keep stuff from sliding out, and maybe some type of hooks/storage on the top. I don't want it to sit any higher than the back seats

Anyone have any ideas or have done this type of thing before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ripped it all out and sprayed bed liner spray in there. also installed e-track to lash it all my down.

cargo_area.jpg

wow dude... that looks so freakin sweet.

I wanted to do bed liner but I was told that it would "be noisey from the tires" and "it would get super hot in the summer"

but this was from a person who has shot down 99% of my ideas to begin with.

Do you have any of those issues?

would roll on bed-liner be the same as the spray?

oh and.. looks like your plastic pieces on the wheel wells are gone, whatd you do with all the wiring?

i have an idea for you,m if he shoots down all your ideas ask him to give you an idea, ,

i have an idea for you,m if he shoots down all your ideas ask him to give you an idea, ,

his ideas are whatever will take the least effort, I asked him that day I brought up the bed lining and his response was "just put a seat cover on the back seat and put a piece of plywood on the floor" :rolleyes:

wow dude... that looks so freakin sweet.

I wanted to do bed liner but I was told that it would "be noisey from the tires" and "it would get super hot in the summer"

but this was from a person who has shot down 99% of my ideas to begin with.

Do you have any of those issues?

would roll on bed-liner be the same as the spray?

oh and.. looks like your plastic pieces on the wheel wells are gone, whatd you do with all the wiring?

tell your buddy to go to the store and read a can of bed liner, its used for sound dampening on wheel wells and its high impact and is pretty hard to mess up

it is louder, but for me it dosn't matter anymore. Just pull the carpet for a day and see how you like it. The wires just sit there.

I use to have a rubber mat in mine at one time too.

E-track_before.jpg
\

or with the track installed.

E-track_Done.jpg

it is louder, but for me it dosn't matter anymore. Just pull the carpet for a day and see how you like it. The wires just sit there.

I use to have a rubber mat in mine at one time too.

E-track_before.jpg
\

or with the track installed.

E-track_Done.jpg

hey where did you get the tracks from?

Couple questions for you Stic,

Whered you get the plastic pieces for the back of your seat flaps?

Do you still have a headliner in your ex? if so does it look weird with the plastic cargo pieces gone?

It's a shame I could'nt bed line the carpet or sound deadening material so I could reduce interior noise and still meet the purpose lol

Do you still have a headliner in your ex? if so does it look weird with the plastic cargo pieces gone?

It's a shame I could'nt bed line the carpet or sound deadening material so I could reduce interior noise and still meet the purpose lol

lay fiber glass insulation (the pink stuff in you attic) on the floor and cut a peice of ply wood to fit in just right and it will reduce sound and you could put the bed liner on the wood.

lay fiber glass insulation (the pink stuff in you attic) on the floor and cut a peice of ply wood to fit in just right and it will reduce sound and you could put the bed liner on the wood.

hmm that's a pretty cool idea.

Not sure what you mean by "the plastic pieces":scratch:

Yes I still have the headliner, I don't think it looks weird, hower the cage hides alot. I only took the cargo side pieces out due to a fire when installing the cage.:(

The mat stuff that was in there before was a playground/gym mat material I found worked great! Quite and super durable. Then just wipe it out. Only cost about $40 bucks I think.

those 2 black pieces (idk if theyre plastic) on the back of your seats there

oh lol... I see it now... It looked like you cut the front off of a plastic bed liner and bolted them onto the back of your seats.

my baddd

Back