• Register Today It's free!

Cargo Box

stopandstare

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT SOHC 4WD
Ever since I bought my Ex I've wanted a way to keep all my tools (junk) organized. I saw a few people built boxes for the cargo area of their SUV's and I had to have one.

I'm sure I copied some people along the way, I took ideas from a lot of places and different forums (especially EF).

I don't have the napkin with the dimensions on it with me, but I think it was around 36" x 42" x 18" (LxWxH)

The entire thing is made out of 1/2" plywood, except the top which is 3/4". I wanted it to be sturdy enough so that I could build an addition to go over the folded down seats and sleep on it. Even with my air mattress on top of it all there's still enough room to comfortably sleep.

Anyway, on to the good stuff:

My Ex:
trrr.gif

Drawers Closed:

drawers1.gif

Drawers Open--my toolbox fits nice and snug in there

drawers2.gif

In there right now I've got...
Toolbox, tow straps, spare air filter, motor oil, ammo, blankets/towels, road emergency equipment (flares/fluids/lights/etc) and plenty of other junk that comes in handy. It's really nice not having to dig through tupperware bins to find that one tool or item that I need.

If anyone is interested in emulating this, I used heavy duty staples and wood glue to piece it all together, and it's TOUGH. Even with the drawers out I can stand on it and it doesn't bow or wobble at all. There's still room on the sides for misc storage, I didn't want to try to build around the wheel wells, plus it would have blocked my stock subwoofer and jack storage area if I had.

I didn't use any rails or slide mechanisms, it's just wood sliding on wood. Makes them a little difficult to open if I'm parked facing downhill, but oh well.

The whole meal deal cost me about $120.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't use any rails or slide mechanisms, it's just wood sliding on wood. Makes them a little difficult to open if I'm parked facing downhill, but oh well.

One thing I have seen guys use on truck bed tool box similar to yours is use the little magic carpet glides. You know the ones you buy to slide furniture on. Place two on the open end of the box in the truck. Then place two on the end of the drawers that go into the deep part of the box. Now each drawer is always sliding on four glides. You can also add two to the top of the drawers on the deep end. So when the weight shifts off the bottom slides it slides on the top ones then.

Hope that makes sense.

Realy nice. Do you have any plans for some kind of hold down straps? I think it would be neat to have the long handle axe mounted in the box or some kind of clamps for it on the side.
Wonder if you could just rub a block of parrifin wax on the wood to help in the sliding if those discs are too thick?

One thing I have seen guys use on truck bed tool box similar to yours is use the little magic carpet glides.

That is an AWESOME idea and you can bet I'll be doing that this weekend! Thanks for the idea!

Realy nice. Do you have any plans for some kind of hold down straps? I think it would be neat to have the long handle axe mounted in the box or some kind of clamps for it on the side.
There aren't any hold down straps, but when the drawers are full this thing is too heavy to even budge--it's not going anywhere! My one concern is if I get in a bad rollover, so I may consider it in the future.

As far as the axe goes, I thought of that too--but I like long hickory handles and it doesn't fit anyway but diagonal on the box, so I used the hooks and the butt of the handle actually sticks out a little past the back seat.

My Cargo Box

Heres some pictures of the one i built and covered in material that matched my interior.

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

Back