Cargo privacy shade (cargo cover)

Remeny

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Land, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Is anyone using one of these?

I purchased one and am not too thrilled with the install design. To connect the shade to the second row is very easy and well thought out (uses a bungee type band that slips around the head rests) and the connection to the rear has a specific hook to attach to the side wall. However, to connect the sides of the shade you have to put 4 little hooks between the side panel and the side window. This might sound easy but is a bit tricky and pull on the side panel. I would imagine this would cause the side panel to bend over time.

Also, you cannot use the third row when the shade is on since it connects to the second row headrest. I think I'm going to take it back and just buy a black blanket to cover my belongings.

Ford could find a much better way to improve on this option IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just tinted my back windows dark enough that nobody can see in....and since I can't see either of those windows from the drivers seat, it has zero effect on me....

I didn't get one because when they came standard on all our other explorers and expeditions, we never used them, and they sat in the garage/basement.

I didn't get one because when they came standard on all our other explorers and expeditions, we never used them, and they sat in the garage/basement.

Ditto.
90% of our SUV trades don't have them installed. They collect dust in garages.

I love the new cargo shade. It is much much more innovative than the old roll up ones. The method of attachment that works best I think is:
1) Locate the left side and right side rear window slot hooks. 2) Align a hook parallel with the window slot. 3) press the hook down into the slot towards the front of the window. 4) Alignment of the hook is key. 5) Insert the other hook into the window slot by aligning it parallel with the window slot. 5) attach the hooks in the opposite rear window slot. 6) Now hook the elastic straps over the second row head rests. Don't do this first since it makes it harder to do the window slot hooks. 7) Now attach the shade at either both rear gate opening points or just one. I like to leave the left rear corner unhooked. And with the cargo net installed too this makes for a very sweet concealment and containment area.

I think in this day and age any cargo shade that requires more than two simple steps is ridiculous. My old 97 4Runner had a roll up one behind the second row, you simply pulled it back by the handle and set it in the side recesses. Simple. And that was tech from 14 years ago.

I think in this day and age any cargo shade that requires more than two simple steps is ridiculous. My old 97 4Runner had a roll up one behind the second row, you simply pulled it back by the handle and set it in the side recesses. Simple. And that was tech from 14 years ago.

Yes simple is something that I like. But this new design offers many different ways to use the shade. My 2004 had the roll up shade. It had three positions: 1) rolled up, 2) fully deployed, and 3) broken anchor on right side. So I did not use it for the last year because the right side anchor in the shade would not stay in. This new one also folds up and stores nicely. I love it. The first time I saw it I thougth it was weird. Once I understood it I loved it.

I had the roll-up ones in my Escape and last X. When I thought about getting this I thought it would be the same kind and decided not to get one. Deciding where to store the roll-up shades when you need to remove them was always a pain for me. Now that I know I can just fold it up and stash it I may get one.

I had the roll-up ones in my Escape and last X. When I thought about getting this I thought it would be the same kind and decided not to get one. Deciding where to store the roll-up shades when you need to remove them was always a pain for me. Now that I know I can just fold it up and stash it I may get one.

I love it. The old one was either in place of kinda in the way in the house or garage. This one does take some learning to install. And I think that they should have offered a device the goes into the window slot one time and then you could simply hook onto that. As it is now you have to learn how to align the window hooks and to insert them parallel. I find it easiest to get the hooks to go into the window slot if I attempt it at the front bottom of the windows. I have it down now. I really like this new shade.

There should be some type of receptical for the side hooks already built into the wall (reinforced) or somewhere along the side of the interior. You cant tell me the side, interior wall wont bow out over time. I also wish there was an option to just cover the area behind the third row bench so you don't lose that functionality. Losing the third row is a big deal with our family.

My wife has an '06 Toyota Rav4 and it too has the roll up shade and works beautifully. Storing it in our garage is no big deal and it could be placed in the back of the vehicle too. And Toyota somehow made them so they don't break very easily.

Different strokes, and shades, for different folks. No this new shade is probably not for everyone. It rocks for me.

Could be as simple as a pop-up shade like the ones used in windshields to block the sun when parked that has a simple connector or slot to rest in.

cargo cover 2013 Ex

Can anyone tell me why those clips are sewn to the cover? The velcro is seamed to the cover and the clips have velcro > but also seamed to the cargo shade. It doesn't make sense.
I was thinking of cutting the clips and leaving them set in the window, velcro side up so installation of the cover is 'easier.'
Anyone else do this?

Back