Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This the same truck i saw in the driveway the other day ?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Brandon got his truck back together finally?

No its his brother travis'. Started with a frame and a cab built from the gound up. 5.0 c6 equal length beams, linked, bypasses and all the good stuff. Really nice truck and fast..

Oh, is it a red extended cab that's in their avatar pic?

man ohhh man what a day. good trip and the explorer was working great. until i tangled with a 4ft deep washout and lost/ hahahaha. carnage pics in the morning, basically bent up the upper control arms so its down for a bit now.

So morning is technically over now - where are the PICS !?!
cow-shakefist.gif

...I've heard the story today by the 2 that were there...Also awaiting pics...:popcorn:

ya know there something about sudden Elevation changes and you that are not quite mixing here :scratch: :D

may i suggest flat track racing in the future? :cool:

naaa just working out the weak links. at the speeds and terrain of the stuff i put this thing through things are going to break, bend and tweak lol. it happened after a whole afternoon of prerunning the race course and abuse. on an access road of all places lol, ohh well i guess

next time check out Mquay Norris Extreme duty ball joints, screw Moog their quality has gone down in a rut (LOL intended)

new upper arms plated? chromolly? LOL

actually the moogs are a few years old now. been through alot of crap and still pretty tight.

old arms were 1.5" mild, the new ones are 1.5 dom. once the new spindle is designed the uppers will be boxed style.

Now that the ex is drivable again, you gonna make it out to truckhaven? I still want a ride in this thing.

Back