Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sean, i can't remember and don't feel like going through 24 pages to find out, are you going with a 4 link w/ panhard and coilovers off the axle, or a mezzanine setup? I know you were considering both options, can't remember which you decided on.

Mezz arm setup. The coilovers off the axle is hard to tune and limited to around the shock length in travel. With the mezz arm itll be around 26" of travel in the rear. And with the d44 hubs as the pivot points we can make a sway bar and use warn manual locking hubs to engage and disengage the sway bar.

Yeah it's Gils'. Its been cool to see it every step of the way. That things is gonna be a damn good all around truck when it's done.

Well he is still in the middle east, so I'll have to go test it for him when it's done:p:

Well he is still in the middle east, so I'll have to go test it for him when it's done:p:

i totally want his truck now haha. but he's put a ton of money into it, but it will be worth it in the end.

...It will be 3 years tommorow that an infamous hill was renamed "Gil's Hill"...:D

...And who can forget the airbag flag?...

...I got to see the Nissan several times but I didn't know it was Gil's...I was hoping to see Carlovers ride when I was at BTF...:(

Sean, its logan off dr just read the whole thread! Lemme know if you and brandon ever need help with anything. I cant weld but I can coach you on what youre doing wrong :D haah. Cant wait to see it done, the night race isnt gonna happen what about the clean up?

Hauling the rust bucket to the BTF shop tommorow or saturday. Should be fun loading it on the trailer with no brakes, steering, not running, and cant support its own weight in the front hahahahahaha.

Yeah looks like Gil's truck is done. Came out SWEET!

and so it finally begins. loaded up and on its way to the shop

expobuild2.jpg

expobuild1.jpg

Is that a Firestone tire I see there...? :p:

...I was going to post some spy shots yesterday...:p:

Let me know if you want to switch the rear cargo door to a 98+. I'll give you the spare I have for free!!! Just want it out of my garage:rolleyes:

Back