Carputer, CarPC; whatever you want to call it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carputer, CarPC; whatever you want to call it

Jefe

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
Santa came a little early this year. . .

With the SAS complete my Audio system needed to be stepped up a notch (or ten :D ).

Specs are:
-VIA EPIA M10000 Motherboard
--1 Ghz C3 CPU
--512 MB RAM
-D-link DWL-520+ Wi-Fi card
-DVD-ROM
-120 GB Hard Drive
-Innovatek IN-720 -7" 16:9 in-dash LCD Monitor
-Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
-OBD-II and GPS connected
-Opus Solutions DC-DC 90W ATX Power Supply
Running Windows XP Pro

Everything is stuffed in what used to be the glovebox, with the exeption of the screen which took the place of my old MP3/CD unit

I have ~ 3,000 mp3's, ~75 ripped DVD movies, and dozens of episodes from my favorite shows on the hard drive, plus the DVD-ROM to play CD's or watch DVD's
I've got Wi-Fi with a remote antenna (that still needs to be mounted {yes, that is whats sitting on my dash} ) so I can sit in my driveway (or someone elses driveway ;) ) and surf explorerforum :D
I've got my GPS hooked up with DeLorme TopoUSA.
I've got OBD-II diagnostic and monitoring software hooked up.

The power supply turns the computer on 5 seconds after the car starts, and tells it to shut down 10 after the ignition goes off, and the kills all power (in case shut down hung) after 45 seconds.

And for some pics:

Screen closed:
carpc1.jpg

Screen open:
carpc3.jpg

OBD-II software:
carpc4.jpg

TopoUSA
carpc5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats awesome..now all u need is a rag and some water to dust off the dash =-) lol marry xmas

VERY nice bro. Can you give some details on that datalogger? Wiring/taps/etc?

Looking great.....reminds me of my old setup. Now you need wireless internet

Thats sweet:D What did that run?

damn Jefe - how much that set you back?

That is awesome...an WOW that is a dusty dash.

Do you have the screen hooked up using a RCA plug?
If so how are the fonts? The picts are a little blurry.
I'm looking for another LCD thats motorized,

Originally posted by Daps
Do you have the screen hooked up using a RCA plug?
If so how are the fonts? The picts are a little blurry.
I'm looking for another LCD thats motorized,
Yes, its composite video (RCA). The smaller fonts are blurry (not as blurry as in the pics though). But thats to be expected when putting a computer screen on a small, low resolution LCD. If I have to read anything I turn on the Windows Magnifier. However with video (DVD or DivX) it is one of the best LCD monitors I've seen for color, contrast, and sharpness. The one dissapointment I have about it is it is not bright enough for daylight unless I boost the brightness to 100% and then the color and contrast go out the window.

Thanks
Right now I have a 7" Mobile Authority that I mounted up front but think I'm going to get a 7" VGA Lilliput or some type of indash pullout vga.
I have a mobile dvd player and an old laptop, thinking about just getting rid of my radio as i hardly ever listen to it

Jefe. I am looking to bring the comp world into my Limited. I would like to mount the tower in the back somewhere. I then would need a screen. Please let me know what ideas you have. I am looking for email capability.

u dont really need to have the entire tower
so u can really mount it anywhere aslong as the ribbon cables will reach each component...like behind the right rear quater pannel =) then just add in a few fans and ur good to go

I am very good on the computer, I just dont know the technical parts of them. How would I go about doing WI-FI? Is it just a modem of some sorts?

bah... I'm currently in the process of doing the exact same thing, have just about all the parts ordered - however i'll have a 15" screen =P

For wifi, you just need a card.. plugs into PCI slot. However - you WANT to buy an antenna for it or else you wont have any range.
This is similar to what I bought this week:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61816&item=5704233786&rd=1

You will then have to get the necessary adapters to convert the connector on the antenna to the connector on the wireless card. Here is a card which has 802.11g & 802.11b capabilities (b is more widely used, but G is a LOT faster and is becoming more widespread - it is wise to get a card w/dual capacity). It is the Linksys WMP54GS PCI card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45001&item=5704356459&rd=1

I'm mounting mine parallel to the stock roof racks w/ a motor so I can make it verticle whenever I want to.

Hit me up on aim - 'vt hydroxy' if you got any q's.

Oh man you are sick with the mobile EF! ;)

Merry Christmas!

Looks awesome. Nice job

I just noticed... distributed.net client =) how long you been doing that?

Also, how did you wire it to shut off based on the if the engine was on/off?
What antenna you use - how much gain you get?

Any chance we can get some pics of the actual 'puter?
I WISH I HAD OBD-II!!!!!!!!

hydroxy said:
I just noticed... distributed.net client =) how long you been doing that?

Also, how did you wire it to shut off based on the if the engine was on/off?
What antenna you use - how much gain you get?

Any chance we can get some pics of the actual 'puter?
I WISH I HAD OBD-II!!!!!!!!
I've been on distributed.net since about '98

The DC-DC power supply has a remote on lead like a normal car head unit. It acts as the power switch for the computer. I have changed PS since I got it. I'm now running a 90W from Opus Solutions which provides much cleaner power.

Wi-Fi antenna i got of ebay. Its a 5dB. Dont remember the brand.

I haven't posted pics of the computer cause its a big rats nest of wires. :rolleyes:

Where are you throwing a 15" screen? I've thought about ditching the pass airbag and glassing in a 10 or 15" touchscreen in place of it, but thats the only place I can think of. (However a passenger in a crash would not like that idea :nono: )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have rear air, which runs underneath the armest area. I'm cutting into that which will give me 2-3". The base will be mounted on a hinge right where the tissue holder is. Monitor will turn sideways and go into the armrest. If that didn't make any sense, just wait a month or so.

I never though to this before - but can a computer run off a modified sin wave? I was just going to use my dc to ac power inverter.... That is going to be a lot of wasted juice... dc to ac then back to dc again.... I might just have to pick up one of those power supplies.

Good job on the install, I'm jealous =P

- You notice any big gain w/ the antenna?

Back