• Register Today It's free!

Carputer?

Ryanc721

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
does anyone know where i can get one? i would need it to hook up to my avic d3... and if i do hook it up to my d3, would it be a touch screen carputer too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using the D3 as the front & backend of a carputer really limits the true functionality of it. It'd be tough for me to do it knowing I already have a good HU, but you'll need to get a 7" touch screen to really use the system.

Do you have external amp(s) already powering your speakers? If so, you're ahead of the game.

Let me know what you want out of your system. And the most important question...what's your budget?

I work in IT, so this sorta thing is right down my alley. However, I spec'd one out if I were to build it and it would cost about $1350 to have it do what I want. That's not including an amp. The reason I'm holding off is I can't find an amp that has an optical input on it anywhere.

Using the D3 as the front & backend of a carputer really limits the true functionality of it. It'd be tough for me to do it knowing I already have a good HU, but you'll need to get a 7" touch screen to really use the system.

Do you have external amp(s) already powering your speakers? If so, you're ahead of the game.

Let me know what you want out of your system. And the most important question...what's your budget?

I work in IT, so this sorta thing is right down my alley. However, I spec'd one out if I were to build it and it would cost about $1350 to have it do what I want. That's not including an amp. The reason I'm holding off is I can't find an amp that has an optical input on it anywhere.

You won't find any car amps with optical inputs. The best solutions I've seen implemented a processor that took optical/SPDIF input and output in multichannel analog. It kind of defeats the purpose, but can still be useful. The last one I saw used the Alpine H700, but why would you build a carputer when using that? If I could get away with transferring my signals to the rear using a single digital coax, or a fiber cable, I'd be on it. Finding space to run 8-10 RCA lines is a chore.

basicly, id want one with internet...something you can install itunes on so you can download a song while being in the car

basicly, id want one with internet...something you can install itunes on so you can download a song while being in the car

You won't be able to use the AVIC-D3 to build a carputer -- it doesn't have an output for the touchscreen (USB, in particular). You will need to use either a double-DIN computer touchscreen (Lilliput sells one, some other manufacturers probably do too) that has a USB output to connect to the computer.

Your other option is the G4, which is a whole computer built into a 2-DIN chassis.

http://store.mp3car.com/MP3Car_G4_powered_by_StreetDeck_p/sdk-014.htm

This may be your best bet if you don't want to run a ton of extra wires and want a full touchscreen similar to the D3.

This guy here makes carputers and his site is customcarputers.com
He's pretty reputable guy from everything I've read and he answered every question I had about them when I asked. Here's his write-up on using an old computer for a carputer.

There was actually an amp out there that had optical inputs on them you just had to search quite a bit and it was really expensive. The autotek mm5.1 had optical, coax and analog inputs and was one heck of a nice looking amp but I can't find one for sale online anywhere anymore. It was online a few months ago but has since disappeared. :(

There are a lot of computer sound cards that have 2.0V preouts and that's just enough for any amp on the market.

And check on mp3car.com, you'll find a lot of info in there.

Hey i am building my first Carputer and I am getting a 10" screen (yes it is overkill but, I'm gonna put a dimmer on it so its not so distracting) anyways I live in Las Vegas with temperatures during summer blasting around 110 degrees, and probably 130 in the car as it sits during the day. Will the heat hurt my LCD? and I am gonna have 4 fans running in the case which is a modified center console that has 1/2" MDF a thin layer of polyurethane foam (for rigidity and minor insulation), and will have a layer of bondo glass and bondo. Also will the desert sun put my HDD and CPU too much?

I live in Phoenix and I can tell you it can get a whole bunch hotter than 130 inside the car in the summer. I've left my laptops in the car for a while. The Dell wouldn't fire up properly after sitting in the heat. The IBM would. So who knows the answer. But it's kept me from pursuing a Carputer.

Back