Cash For Clunkers Crush List | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Cash For Clunkers Crush List

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The attached article has a near complete list of the nearly 700,000 vehicles destroyed during the Cash for Clunkers program. Top of the list by far, 1991-2000 Ford Explorers. Over 50,000 got squished.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
The attached article has a near complete list of the nearly 700,000 vehicles destroyed during the Cash for Clunkers program. Top of the list by far, 1991-2000 Ford Explorers. Over 50,000 got squished.

funny you mention this, i found CA still has a semi cash for clunkers like program i heard. but it has to have passed smog be >25 and what not... btu if it passed smog... then why crush it? i mean to upgrade to something newer and more fuel efficient but sometimes i wonder how many gems are crushed during these.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
90% of those cars would have eventually ended up in a junk yard. The government is great at wasting other peoples money.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
i wonder, is there a study or something that says if its better to keep your old car for the remainder of its service life before dying/being upgraded, say... an X for 50k vs buying a new one which has more impact. let me do some googling

~X~

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
6 Explorers & a 91 Ranger
i wonder, is there a study or something that says if its better to keep your old car for the remainder of its service life before dying/being upgraded, say... an X for 50k vs buying a new one which has more impact. let me do some googling
Common sense tells me, if you pay someone to study anything they'll tell you what you want to hear. I'm not buying a Tesla & I don't want any car that if you have to push the brake pedal you can put it in drive. Just my two cents, I'll shut up now.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
No car payment, cheap registration and insurance goes a long way vs a new car that everything will be expensive.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
Common sense tells me, if you pay someone to study anything they'll tell you what you want to hear. I'm not buying a Tesla & I don't want any car that if you have to push the brake pedal you can put it in drive. Just my two cents, I'll shut up now.
ahh no your opinion is equally as valid as any! it is hard to find reputable sources these days however.
No car payment, cheap registration and insurance goes a long way vs a new car that everything will be expensive.
oh yeah, thats undeniable. my only thing is since many especially my generaton is trying to go green, which is better for the environment?

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
ahh no your opinion is equally as valid as any! it is hard to find reputable sources these days however.

oh yeah, thats undeniable. my only thing is since many especially my generaton is trying to go green, which is better for the environment?
Depends on your definition of better. Bulldozing the rain forest, burning the trees for fuel plus the amount of diesel fuel it takes to mine the material for the battery does more damage to the environment than you gas powered car would for its entire service life.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
Depends on your definition of better. Bulldozing the rain forest, burning the trees for fuel plus the amount of diesel fuel it takes to mine the material for the battery does more damage to the environment than you gas powered car would for its entire service life.
true, guess more of: between making a new car vs driving your old one, which has a greater carbon impact as far as production etc

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
true, guess more of: between making a new car vs driving your old one, which has a greater carbon impact as far as production etc
Propane and natural gas are not considered greenhouse gases, one could convert to run on that and be greener. Also with a self service pump, a tank of cng is under $2.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
That program didn't take into consideration the amount that a new car cost which is like a year's pay check (for most people several year's pay checks). Think about this, you work 10 to 14 hours a day everyday just to meet your expenses. Your entire pay check goes toward utility bills, food, taxes, clothing, tolls, rent, camp, babysitting, cleaning help, the city's speeding & red light cameras, parking tickets, tuition, insurance, gas, mortgage, loans, repairs, marrying off kids, etc without any money to put aside for old age, vacations or emergencies. Now the government assumes that Americans are wealthy, and could afford to buy or lease a vehicle so they give an incentive to junk a vehicle which is in working condition by bribing them with a few thousand dollars which is technically their tax money. They put themselves into deep debt with loans, credit cards, and taking a second job just to have a new vehicle. I don't see how it was worth the aggravation. On top of this, those vehicles were destroyed so nobody could have any benefit from them. This severely hurt the used car market as well as the used parts market. The people making these decisions most likely are living very well with an expensive car & house so they are incapable of feeling a poor person's feelings. What they should have done is take these vehicles, and give them to poor countries where people can't afford to buy new cars. Those vehicles could be used for a poor family to go to work, school, and take people to a hospital or a doctor if necessary. In some countries people use bicycles because they can't afford anything else.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Propane and natural gas are not considered greenhouse gases, one could convert to run on that and be greener. Also with a self service pump, a tank of cng is under $2.
Can you imagine the fuel cost and environmental damage piping cng to , and building said pump stations? Said stations will need to be wired for the electric pump metering.

An electrical outlet surely makes more sense. The wiring is already there.
FYI the byproduct of propane combustion is CO2.

The greenhouse industry uses propane burners to produce CO2 in their sealed environments, where they add extra fertilizer. Kinda like needing more fuel for nitrous

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty

I'm going to suggest that number is high, because Ford Explorers were top sellers in that time frame. There were more of em than any other vehicle on the list

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
I'm going to suggest that number is high, because Ford Explorers were top sellers in that time frame. There were more of em than any other vehicle on the list
youre onto something!!!! so i did some math, rounded sales figures to the thousand every year-

2nd gen (95-03 according to that article)
sales: 3710000
amount crushed-47000
47000/3710000=.0126
so 1.26% of 2g Xs were crushed

93-98 Jeep GC (#3 spot)
sales: 1477000
amount crushed-21000
21000/1477000=.0142
so 1.42% of GCs were crushed

for fun the 1st gen X

sales: 1296000
crushed:12000
12000/1296000=.0092
so 0.92% of 1gs were crushed

interesting, thanks for pointing that out turdle!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
I think those numbers are close. There are not very many 91-2000 Explorers in junk yards in the San Diego area.
yeah, its not exact, but its an estimate with rounding the sales ans crush numbers

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
there were rows and rows of perfectly good explorers in the junk yards of Colorado during the clunkers
After the program was over and they had a chance to process the vehicles, the yards were crushing massive numbers of them
It was sad!! All of those wonderful parts to be recycled, and for what? to get you into a newer POS LOL

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I hope this is not off topic, but about a year ago I was at the scrap yard getting rid of loose stuff and a guy rolled in with a 1997 5.0 Explorer to sell to be crushed. I didn't have $200- on me to give to him to follow me back to the shop instead.:(

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
What they should have done is take these vehicles, and give them to poor countries where people can't afford to buy new cars. Those vehicles could be used for a poor family to go to work, school, and take people to a hospital or a doctor if necessary. In some countries people use bicycles because they can't afford anything else.

We have folks right here who need cheap transportation. Where I live people still look for $500 vehicles for their daily drivers. They could have made a lot of Wittmannites very happy ;)

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
I'm always reading about European gas cars converted to CNG and it's sounding quite attractive! The cost of gasoline there is insane by US standards, so they save a bit of $. Not sure how less pollution, but after all we run gas stoves indoors.