• Register Today It's free!

Cassette deck not loading?

aklmfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4.0 SOHC
Hello! Been a while since my last post but i'm looking for some help! The cassette tape deck in my 2000 explorer sport with premium (not mach) sound system refuses to load tapes as of today. I have been using a Philips tape adapter with my truck for years to play my ipod but today when i tried to load the adapter the player does not pull the tape in or begin playing. The radio switches to "Tape" mode if i push the tape inside the deck but still doesnt actually play or finish loading my cassette adapter and there is no humming or noises to indicate the loading mechanism is even operating. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the load/eject mechanism in my tape deck has quit? Is there any way to reset the stereo? Do i need to consider getting a replacement oem head unit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently had this problem after not usuing a tape adapter in my Exploder for awhile.
Luckily and I doubt this is the problem in your case but I took the radio out to get the part number off it and heard coins moving around inside it. Took it apart and took 6 coins out of it and it works great. I use the same Phillips tape adapter. My 4 year old daughter must have put coins in the tape slot while playing in the truck.
You can get the radio removal tool to go in holes on the side for about $5 at most any autoparts store.
Would be good to have the radios part number to ensure compatibility and probably can buy one at a local junkyard or of course several internet options.

What's a cassette tape?
LOL!

You might be able to find a head unit out of another one in the JY if you can't get it squared away... otherwise check crutchfield.com they have adapters that plug into the port for the cd changer so you can play the ipod directly through the deck by pushing cd

...otherwise check crutchfield.com they have adapters that plug into the port for the cd changer so you can play the ipod directly through the deck by pushing cd

I like this idea... Thats one reason i was using a tape adapter because i liked the idea of a (pseudo) hardline running from ipod to stereo. Ive had mediocre results with FM transmitters in the past, so ive always stuck with the trusty tape adapter... If i can find a cd changer adapter though i could probably live with a nonfunctioning tape deck. Thanks for pitching the ideas, guys.

What's a cassette tape?

Also, lol - in this day and age the only thing a cassette tape deck is good for is using a tape adapter for an mp3/aux input

Ok??? After pulling my radio out of the dash and poking around a bit i still had no luck with the cassette deck loading... Even after hooking it back up and putting it back in the dash it would not load my tape adapter BUT after 2 or 3 more tries i semi-violently jammed the adapter into my radio and it loaded! I guess the stereo caught wind that it was about to be replaced if it didnt start behaving! I still might put a cd changer adapter on my christmas wishlist though!

You can use a radio transmitter for your iPod. You have to get a a good one though because otherwise they can have poor sound quality. I bought a cheap Griffin iTrip and it had to be within 1 foot of the radio to work. I use a tape adapter in my explored and I've never had a problem.

Back