• Register Today It's free!

Cassette stuck in stereo

pjacobson

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Need some help. Have a stock radio/cassette player in 1997 XLT. Cassette tape is stuck in stereo and will not play either. Stereo does not recognize there is a tape in there. When I hit the "eject" button nothing happens. When I hit the "tape" button "No Tape" message appears on display. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have an answer for you but if you can not get the tape out I have my stock one out of my '97 I will sell you for $25 shipping included.

Customize your head unit today!!! :)
For the limited time only, you can purchase a ball pin hammer at your local hardware store for only 5.99!!! Yes you heard correct my friend. 5.99!!!
So buy a hammer today and customize the face of your head unit.
Every head unit will have a different out come. None will be the same.

Sorry buddy. Had to add some humor to the situation. That thing is stuck bro!

Cassette? What is this "Cassette" thing you speak of?

:D LOL :D

I had this happen in a couple cars. I always used a small screwdriver or an awl with a hooked end to pry them out.

Try pulling the radio fuse and reinstall it then see if the radio recognizes the tape.

Good Luck!

If you have the DIN type of radio),has two square holes on each side of the fac palte),the radio will come out easily. Go to Wal-mart and by a DIN removal tool. The tool is two 'U'shaped pieces of metal taht fit into the holes in your radio. This tool compresses the spring clips holding the radio in. You simply pull the radio out.

Once you have it out you'll see a small black screw on each side of the face plate. Take these out. Turn the radio on each side and pry up gently on the black tabs of the
face plate. The face plate can now be separated from the radio.There is one small cable you'll see once the face plate is separated. Just unplug it from the face plate.

Once the face plate is off, you'll have clear access to the tape player.

These radios are modular. The CD module comes out separately and the cassette modules come out as separately...and can be replaced separately.

Goob luck.

Back