Casting Numbers for 1996 Explorer V6 engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Casting Numbers for 1996 Explorer V6 engine

NYIslanders

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Exp Sport Trac
I am in the process of selling my 1996 Ford Explorer XL and came across this question from a potential buyer.

What is a Casting Number and where can I find it on the engine? Once again I have a 1996 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in the process of selling my 1996 Ford Explorer XL and came across this question from a potential buyer.

What is a Casting Number and where can I find it on the engine? Once again I have a 1996 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 engine.
SOHC engine in a 96? I thought the SOHC was not used until 97. Thank God I have the OHV engine in my 96. Somebody please update me, if I am wrong in my thinking.

SOHC engine in a 96? I thought the SOHC was not used until 97. Thank God I have the OHV engine in my 96. Somebody please update me, if I am wrong in my thinking.

I was thinking the same thing. I am about to pick up a 96' Limited and I am pretty sure it has the OHV. Are there advantages/disadvantages?

Personally, I'm happy to have the OHV engine. No cam tensioner problems. Actually, they ALL have their own problems. The OHV engine is prone to cracked heads, from what I have read. The SOHC engine is supposed to have more power. I am quite happy with the power, and fuel mileage with my 96. I just wish that there was not so much electronics. Damn thing is power everything. But, I have owned it for a year and a half, and have to say it has been a good vehicle so far.

Personally, I'm happy to have the OHV engine. No cam tensioner problems. Actually, they ALL have their own problems. The OHV engine is prone to cracked heads, from what I have read. The SOHC engine is supposed to have more power. I am quite happy with the power, and fuel mileage with my 96. I just wish that there was not so much electronics. Damn thing is power everything. But, I have owned it for a year and a half, and have to say it has been a good vehicle so far.

Good information to know. Thank you!

Back