Cat-Back Exhaust Input Needed

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
hey all i need a new exhaust on my new 96 x. considering this gibson from stylin concepts. any opimions. does it bolt on using factory hangers with no drilling or welding? sound good? etc. btw i have a 96 4 door ohv with 5speed. o and how hard is it to put on?

Gibson

thanks for the input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

catback systems are pretty easy to put on, however most people have them fully welded after instal because muffler clamps suck

what about sound? anyone have a sound clip with a gibson? thanks

I dont have a sound clip, but i do love my Gibson. Complete bolt!! The only hard part were getting the old hangers out.

The gibson web site has a number of sound clips. Not sure if they have one for your engine. it's my understanding that they are one of the quietest peformance systems on the market. But still nice tone.

Mine is nice and deep, If I ride with the back windo open I can hear it nice. If it is closed, barely noticable

Same here. Mine is a little bit louder and deeper. Nice tone. Not loud at all. Nice exhaust and money well spent.

hmmm, well i do want a loud exhaust anyone have any other sugestions?

thinking of this one too let me know which u think is better Flowmaster
anyone have sound clips?

i have a flowmaster 40 series on my truck. Bought the catback system, installed it, then took it to a muffler shop to have them weld in the muffler because the clamps suck

Heres some audio clips i took with my PDA. Keep in mind i also have a k&n intake and that really helps with the growl of the engine:

http://www.putfile.com/inh (its all the truck-audio ones, though you can hear it in some of the scenes from the movie too (the white explorer))

sounds pretty good the one in the kit i was getting is a Series 50 SUV Force II

i hear those sound good too, but are quieter. you cant get any louder than a 40 series... If you want the catback then summitracing.com sells it, thats where i got mine..

muffler

I've tried many mufflers, Edelbrock, Borla, Flowmaster even tried a lightning muffler(major modifications to make it fit and not worth the problems(got it free) All of the mufflers except the Lightning were completely annoying (with the sound they produced) after a short while of using them. They all resonated horribly at 2000-2300 RPM on the highway. I finally purchased the Dynomax superturbo. I can honestly tell you I love it. Really quiet at idle, no resonating at any speeds but when I floor the throttle the tone is throaty but not obnoxious by any means. I would like to point out this is very subjective to my likes. I was so tired of have to blast my radio just to hear it. If your looking for loud and super tuff you can't go wrong with any of the first three I listed. Just trying to save you some coin. God nows I have easily blown over $400 on mufflers alone.

Good Luck
Rob

The price on the Dynomax cat back is real reasonable as well.
The one for my '97 Mounty is $216 from Summit Racing. The Gibson is $100 more.

ok tell me this: Flowmaster or Gibson

Flowmaster all the way. :thumbsup: I had a Dynomax muffler on it before and it was too quiet for my liking and it popped all the time when I got off the throttle. But I can't say anything about Gibson because I have never heard them in person.

FLowmaster! Dynomax's are too quiet from what I've read, thats why i got the flowmaster. And yea its loud on the freeway but oh well. I blast my stereo anyways because thats what teenagers are supposed to do

Gibson is the only manufacturer (you listed) that engineers their systems to produce torque and hp in the low to upper midrange rpm. Where as the others engineer their systems for all out full throttle hp and torque. just something to think about.

flowmaster is louder, but gibson has more HP and torque gains at lower rpm... hmmm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back