• Register Today It's free!

cat back straight pipe

KROTOS1970

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, EXPLORER XLT FWD NA
I got my Explorer with about 3k miles, it was a dealer demo, the first thing I did was replace the stock 17" wheels with 20" polished aluminum wheels and 275/45R20 110V tires and after about 10 months of ownership I replaced my stock intake box with a K&N CAI , initially it was only the throaty sound, but after a couple months of use I am noticing a little extra power at 4k+ rpm's, I was thinking of deleting the 2 mufflers and the other thing in the middle I'm not sure what that is, if it's another muffler or a resonator?, it's longer and narrower than the 2 mufflers, I don't think it's a 3rd Catalytic?, I think by putting a straight pipe from the cats without tuning, it will not only improve sound but also gain a little more HP & TQ?

I'm an audio Enthusiast, I've replaced the stock sync1 with a 12.1" portrait display android radio with nav, I've also upgraded the stock speakers and removed the 3rd row seats, I've dedicated the everything behind the 2nd row to subwoofers and amps, I'd say there's more than 300 extra lbs back there, I probably will have to replace the rear shocks at around 30k miles I'm at around 19k now, and add more weight support as I keep adding more weight back there, I generally like to take 30 - 40 mph ramps at about 20 - 30 mph faster, I know the suspension will ware out faster especially with the extra weight, the upgraded tires usually keep me inside the lane as long as I keep my eyes on the road.

That's a resonator after the cats underneath towards the middle.

Back