• Register Today It's free!

cat converter problem?

think_7500

Reaction score
City, State
CORONA,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4X4 EDDIE BAUER
i just installed the bolt on cat converter that I bought from catco. My only question is if there is supposed to be a whistle/whining type sound when i hit the gas. it is faint, but definately noticible. My dad says that it is the converter breaking in, but i wanted to get some feedback from you guys in case i did something something wrong when installing. Also, i am going to get my car smogged tomorrow and wanted to know if you guys have any tips on what if anything i should do or put in my car before.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it an exhaust leak? Were you supposed to install any gaskets?
I've driven lots of brand new cars (therefore new Cats), and I never heard any whistling.

i installed a new gasket that came with it.... how do i detect an exhaust leak? will there be anything noticiable? smoke? smell? etc?

Usually a noise can be heard.

To find a leak, grab a towel and put it over the exhaust pipe. While blocking the exhaust, look under the car to see if you can see the exhaust coming out of anywhere.

Yeah that's a leak.

The only thing you'll notice from a new cat is a smell for a few days.

so after going back and checking the gasket (which my dad swore was good but in reality was in extremelly poor shape). putting on a new gasket, and putting my new cat back on, which was a breeze the second time (took maybe 20 minutes setup/changing gasket/clean up), I got my car smogged today and was delighted to see that not only had i passed, the NO PPM of 753 for 15 mph (way over the 501 max) and the 728 for 25 mph (barely under the 754 max that i got on my smog test only a week ago went down to 0!!! PPM for both the 15 and 25 mph.
Thanks for all those that gave advice throughout this proccess and help me pick a good cat, install it and troubleshoot the end result

Back