• Register Today It's free!

Cat delete

Ulijasso

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 94 ford explorer and I wanted to delete my cats I just wanted to know if I would get a check engine the truck doesn't have a o2 sensor after the cats I just want a little more sound from the exhaust thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You live in California, how do you plan to get away with no cat?
If you only want “more sound”, why not just go with a non stock muffler?

I would not recommend deleting cats. A lot of mid range power is lost.

I put a resonator in place of the cat on my '94. It didn't really make a difference in sound. I couldn't tell a difference in power. high mileage cats are probably fairly plugged off.
I don't see how midrange power could be lost. The 2" exhaust is too small to lose power without the restriction of the cats. I have recently put 2.25" resonator back exhaust on it and it gained seat of the pants power throughout the powerband.

The cheap way to do it is removing the Cat section and using a broom handle to push out the catalyst material (essentially "straight piping" that section), then put it back in.

While you won't get a CEL, you will fail CARB in CA.

Your Explorer will not pass the visual inspection if you remove the cat's. Many years ago when I swapped in my 700R4 transmission, I didn't have room for the stock cats. They were replaced with one high flow unit. It only passes smog because I go to the same guy every year and it was replaced over ten years ago, before the law changed. Otherwise, it would fail visual. My Explorer also runs very clean and always passes the sniff test easily.

I have a Magnaflow muffler that I think sounds great.

I have a 94 ford explorer and I wanted to delete my cats I just wanted to know if I would get a check engine the truck doesn't have a o2 sensor after the cats I just want a little more sound from the exhaust thanks.
The following is taken from the Forum Terms and Rules;

No discussions about removing catalytic converters. It's illegal! Click here for federal law..

Peter

Back