• Register Today It's free!

Cat Questions

Tommy2000

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport, 92 EB
I am a little ignorant about exhaust on the explorer, so please bear with me.

Couldn't a guy go to a local exhaust shop and have a 3" pipe run to the back of the truck?

OR, couldn't you just "clean out" the stock cat and experience an increase in power and sound?

Before you flame me, I think that the purpose of a cat is great, and want to do my part to help the environment, however, I have 150k mi on my truck, and I think the cat is on it's last leg.

Is there any damage that could occur by "cleaning out" the cat? back pressure or anything,,,?

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order) 31x10.5's

I had a custom exahust shop install a hi-flow converter for 150.00. I wouldn't defeat the converter.

Tommy 2000, how were you planning on 'cleaning' the cat? Have you looked at the inside of a cat before? If not, I'll try to explain what it looks like. Basically, imagine a screen that would be on a screen door or window, and stack the screens up so they are the entire length of the converter-that is what it looks like looking into the converter. The internals of the cat are pretty solid, definitely not removable for cleaning but recently I saw som "catalytic converter cleaner/deoderizer" in a JC Whitney catalog. It sounds like you just pour it into the gas tank and it works while you drive. Personally, I would rather replace the cat because the chances are that any aftermarket hi-flow cat will flow more than the stock cat, even if it's in good condition. The 'cleaner' stuff from JC Whitney is only "$9.99" so it's definitely cheaper than a new cat but whichever way you decide to go, please keep the cat in your exhaust system. I hope this helps.

------------------
Charlie May
1992 Navajo LX 4x4

Tommy and Charlie
The catalytic converter has a ceramic core with cylindrical honeycomb holes about 1/8 inch in diameter through which the exhaust gases flow. These ceramic core "cats" should not plug up - but they can be crushed or broken if the "cat" hits a rock (vehicle high centers). And if the oxygen sensor goes highwire such that too much unburned fuel is in the exhaust, the "cat" can get too hot and might break because of heat. I have a demonstration catalytic converter (kindly given to me by Ford folks back in Michigan to be used for educational and demonstration purposes) which has a clear plastic exterior such that one can see the ceramic core. By the way, I have no idea of what these "dual catalytic converters" folks are talking about. However, the demo Ford converter I have has two ceramic cores, each about 4 inches long, all inside the one cat coverter container.
Mike P, 1991 Explorer 4x4 XLT

Back