Catalytic Converter Advice: OEM Fitted or Universal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converter Advice: OEM Fitted or Universal?

Paulyy___g

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT V8
I need to replace all 3 clogged cats, had to drill holes into all 3 to relieve enough pressure to start the engine and not stall while driving. This is a 2002 4.6L V8 with 133k miles that I plan on keeping for another year or two so while I depend on it for now, I don't wanna spend Motorcraft money on it either.

From those who have replaced them, did you go with the recommended but more expensive OE direct fit system (exhaust manifold to muffler setup.) Or is it possible to replace the old cats with a standard universal converter that can be fitted and welded to the existing exhaust pipes? Direct fit is like $460 before tax and shipping whereas universals go for $50-75. I'd like to save as much money as possible, any and all suggestions are welcomed please!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another year or two? Have a muffler shop put on universals.

Also, fix whatever ruined them.

Pretty sure they clogged from coolant leaking into the cylinders from cracked intake manifold. Replaced the manifold, now on to the cats

275 for a daveco on amazon. Probably getting close to the same price when you pay for cut out and welding. Not sure about their quality though.
That price is for either the left or the right side, not both sides. Cheapest Amazon price I've seen for the full direct fit setup is $409 before tax and shipping but the reviews don't look great. Still weighing my options, gotta call around and see what a shop would charge for just installation.

I appreciate you weighing in, I hate making decisions like this without knowing all of my best options

Get OEM fit Walker from RockAuto.

Why do you say Walker? Because I had my eye on them as well as the oem eastern catalytic from rockauto, eastern is like $40 cheaper than walker but if you think they're worth the extra money I'd love to know why...appreciate the reply

Walker or Magnaflow are the two most desired brands by repair shops. Most people that sell exhaust, will sell one, if not both of those lines.

Check out Auto Anything and Google the promo code of the month. I believe they also have a "best price" guarantee for same manufacturer. The g/f bought a direct fit cat for her Chevy Blazer and it bolted in perfectly.

Why do you say Walker? Because I had my eye on them as well as the oem eastern catalytic from rockauto, eastern is like $40 cheaper than walker but if you think they're worth the extra money I'd love to know why...appreciate the reply

I was thinking mufflers and resonators. For CAT's I would just get whatever complete set it cheapest at rockauto.

Which looks to be DAVICO MANUFACTURING 59208 for $373.79 http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4962045

the one you mentioned EASTERN CATALYTIC 30454 ECO II is $428.79

and WALKER 16139 Ultra Converter is $466.79

I had a thief sawzall out my cat right at both ends. I went with a Magnaflow universal replacement and everything was fine.

I had a thief sawzall out my cat right at both ends. I went with a Magnaflow universal replacement and everything was fine.

Plano is in a emissions county, still passed ok?

Collin County. Yep, no problems. I actually sold the Ex in Sept. and got it tested beforehand. I bought the replacement cat off Amazon and had a local shop weld it in.

Did you notice any loss of power or reduced gas mileage?
They took just one or all 3? That's crazy, I heard of people doing when metal prices were high

They took just one or all 3? That's crazy, I heard of people doing when metal prices were high

In the YEAR 2008? At $10,000 per ounce that wasn't the year for your cat to crap out.

I left about midnight and started the car. Made a gawdawful sound like the exhaust manifold was missing. I managed to stumble home at about 35 mph the whole way. Took it to my shop in the morning and they put it on the lift and the driver side cat was cleanly cut out. I guess tweakers open them up and harvest whatever precious metals are inside.

Back