• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic Converter theft?

Capeman121

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Are the converts on a 2014 xlt explorer easy to steal? They already stole two from my neighbors and im getting worried. I saw replacement photos online look like they attach directly to headers? Anyone anti theft them? If so how? Lol thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could put like chicken wire underneath , maybe that;l deter a few? or etch vin into em too, and maybe slam it to the ground :cool: :D perfect excuse imo!!! imo, any converter easy to steal, suv/truck even more so, more height=easier to steal... or if youre a prius:D;)

I heard about people welding cages around them to deter theft, only to get their tires slashed. Costs you either way.

Be cheaper to lower your deductible than to try and armor them.

I did confirm they are directly attached to headers. We will be fine. Now my 04 jeep liberty is in trouble haha. Wish someone would just steal it entirely lmao.

I did confirm they are directly attached to headers. We will be fine. Now my 04 jeep liberty is in trouble haha. Wish someone would just steal it entirely lmao.
free (and legal, for a tiny bit...) straight pipe... but i dont want em stolen, lots of $$ feeding a market i oppose, and lso i gotta get another set... Fix4Dirt does not support stealing cats

I have a FWD with running boards so it should be a little harder to get to them.

It doesn't matter where they attach, if they can get under the vehicle with a cordless sawsall they will have it in a couple of minutes.

They are not stealing it for the used market but for the junk price that they can get for it.

It doesn't matter where they attach, if they can get under the vehicle with a cordless sawsall they will have it in a couple of minutes.

They are not stealing it for the used market but for the junk price that they can get for it.
Yea but im sure they will go for the “easy” ones over the complicated ones.

Yea but im sure they will go for the “easy” ones over the complicated ones.
It isn't that complicated. A small hydraulic bottle jack will get you all the clearance that you need to get it done in just a few pumps of the handle. Remember they don't care what they do to the vehicle as long as they get that converter.

It isn't that complicated. A small hydraulic bottle jack will get you all the clearance that you need to get it done in just a few pumps of the handle. Remember they don't care what they do to the vehicle as long as they get that converter.
indeed, but lifted truck means no jacking it up, so easier right? imo if i saw a slammed stang next to a lifted X, heck im goin for the X

If your area has a higher rate right now and your worried. Go get some neon high temp paint and blast it. Take pics after and save them.
Read a article while back about a landscape company kept getting repeatedly hit. After 2nd go they painted the converters. Which lead cops to catch them due to the color and other evidence.

I wouldn’t paint the converters.

I wouldn’t paint the converters.
more heat trapped... theyre gonna become like eaton SC's... heaton 🤣 but i suppose it couldl be done

If they want it, they’ll take it. They’ll just sandblast or wire brush it off. Or, like mentioned above they’ll be salty you wasted their time and run the grinder through your oil pan, or something else.

Used to run into this with car stereos. We’d chain them in place so you had to remove the chain under the dash before it can come out. They didn’t get the deck on 2 occasions, but they stuck a screwdriver in the face of one, and stabbed up the seats in another.

Used to run into this with car stereos. We’d chain them in place so you had to remove the chain under the dash before it can come out. They didn’t get the deck on 2 occasions, but they stuck a screwdriver in the face of one, and stabbed up the seats in another.
"if i cant have it, nobody can!!!" :( :( :(

"if i cant have it, nobody can!!!" :( :( :(
Horrible human beings in this world. Sometimes unbelievable. Thanks for all the info. I think I will be fine for now. They actually caught the two guys doing it by my house. They hit 8 cars in one night. My security footage and 2 other neighbors. They stole all FORD converters. 5 from older econolines.

:hammer::shoot:luckily mine hasnt been stolen yet... knock on wood

Some of these thefts can be easily avoided if people, who have them, used the garage for its intended purpose. :)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of these thefts can be easily avoided if people, who have them, used the garage for its intended purpose. :)

Peter
wish mine fit in the garage 🤣 gotta take the antenna off, and after the next lift and bigger tires, probably wont fit to begin with! :D

Back