• Register Today It's free!

Catalytic converter troubles

Acquapaza

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford explorer 4.6L
Hey all, over the weekend my explorer decided it wanted to top out at 5mph, and since despite being 12 years old, it's definitely the nicest bed newest car I own, so I felt I should go to a shop instead of kicking it until it works like I've done with my other cars. It's got 115K on it, and full service records, as well as a 3 month old transmission. The shop I limped it to just told me they want 1700 for an aftermarket Cat, and that seems like too much to me. I was hoping someone here could help me know if it's the right price, because I've never really had a car that I bothered fixing right, instead of rigging. On my old 92 bmw it was about 300 for a new cat and exhaust, but I realize it was an older cheaper car, but that's a huge difference in cost, that's about what it was for my Subaru too. So umm... How much are cats? Also, why would it slow down so dramatically? Aren't cats just for emissions? I guess if the o2 sensors were gone it would run a bit lean or rich, but that seems excessive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I was thinking, Just get a bolt on online and slap it in, Just wanted to check first with the internet, and make sure I wasn't being dumb. After all, everyone on the internet is always right. But in all seriousness thanks for the help

For a single weld in. I wouldn't bother. Get the bolt on, its worth the lack of a headache.
Oh. I'm just now getting it. Were you talking about an assembly that contains 3 catalytic converters for most of $500?

Oh not another CAT thread.

There are 3 CATS and they must all be replaced together as a set and you need to replace all of your O2 sensors with them.

2v9vyht.jpg

2z7rl93.jpg

The cats melt down into a solid lump sometimes and can completely block a whole bank of cylinders from breathing... Or if it is the 3rd cat then the whole engine can't breathe...

Good luck getting it fixed!

Ah, that makes sense, I guess I've just never had a cat get to that point before. Thank you though! I think I'm just gonna get a bolt on kitchen and do it myself. I've done three other exhausts, might as well do one more

Aren't MIL eliminators like not allowed, because emissions and stuff?

just gut the offending clogged cat and put MIL eliminators, no need to spend that extra money on an old truck especially if you don't know what caused the cats to melt down. your new one will eventually melt again.

depends on the regulations on your county, some places don't do that check anymore. they just do a safety check and as long as there are no obd2 codes showing you're good to go.

Definitely illegal in all 50 states, regardless of checks.

Not illegal in the province of Saskatchewan, Canada.

Maybe not, however it is against forum rules to suggest removal or deletion of catalytic converters.

Not to mention the OP is a U.S. resident. So, yes, it is illegal.

Haha it's only 11 years old now though. Arizona has weird rules about it. If it's from after 1968 I think, or 69 it has to pass emissions, which probably made sense when they wrote the law, but is just absurd now. But if you're in certain rural cities you don't have to pass emissions. So some people will just register their cars in flagstaff or Apache junction to get around it.

But you can register your car as a classic too to bypass, if you can prove you're planning on just bringing it to shows, but then there's only a certain number of miles a year you can drive it, or you can get off-road vehicles exempt too, I'm not sure what the rules for that are

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another case of, "Ford had a better idea." An exhaust system that is completely ruined for every thing behind the exhaust manifold if one part goes bad.

Back