• Register Today It's free!

catalytic converter

04silverghost

Reaction score
City, State
mt holly nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 xlt
hey everyone. has any one had to replace the cat. conv. on 04 or that gen. yet. if so what happened before they went out? i had one on the driver side go out. sounded like a grinding noise by the oil pan and then started losing power. triple a said the conv. collapsed causing exhaust to go back into engine. approx. $1500 to replace. thanks,scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same thing happen to me earlier in the month. Total lack of power at high rpms. Sounded like popcorn popping at around 3,000 RPMs. It got so bad at one point that it wouldnt go over 20mph at full throttle. I ended up replacing it just this past week with a cat I got from Ford for $750.00. The one that went bad had 3 cats on it. The new one i got only has 2 and it has so much more power now and sounds great with my magnaflow. Just call around, all Ford dealers have different prices. BTW, The cat went at 98,000 miles

I thought there was a separate Emissions warranty separate from the 3/36k one.
Something to the effect of 100k 5-10 years. . . .might still be under warranty?? Not sure.
My jeep was at 120k and 11years jeep dealer said no way not sure on fords.

Found this online with a google search: "Unless you own abused the vehicle, most of the emission related parts are covered by Ford Warranty for 8years or 80,000 miles ". . .no idea if true.

I resurrect this post rather than starting a new one.

Ford does warrant the cat for 8yrs/80,000 miles (I think this is govt. mandated). Anyway, the cat on my wife's 2004 Ex. went bad in September (@68,000 mi.). Just prior to the cat failure, it started throwing codes for the O2 sensors, so I replaced them all. The cat failure was similar to others described - popping/rattling noise, loss of power, etc.

Here's the big FYI from Ford - the OEM part costs ~$1,500. It's best to get Ford to foot the bill for this, however the company that makes the part for Ford went out of business. The new supplier is retooling to make the cats, so there aren't (m)any shipping yet. I've been waiting 6 weeks, and I've gotten the Ford district rep involved. I'm told that they don't know when the part will become available. It's a crap-sandwich. I'm trying to squeeze a loaner vehicle out of the dealer.

I hope you have better luck than me.

I resurrect this post rather than starting a new one.

Ford does warrant the cat for 8yrs/80,000 miles (I think this is govt. mandated).

Yup, it's a Fed law that the Emission system components are warranted for up to 8 years / 80k miles.

Below is what's covered for this timeframe. The list of covered components is much more extensive in the 2 year / 24k timeframe. http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

" There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)."

why so expensive? can't an aftermarket be used?

mine went up last year at 78,x.. miles and replaced under warranty by the dealership.

Back