Catlytic converter problems, need help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Catlytic converter problems, need help!!

Richard Boyd

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4.0xlt
I cut the cats off my 91 explorer and it ran fine for 3 or 4 days and now wont stay cranked unless i keep my foot on the gas a little, dk what to check, not to car savy. Any info helps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did you cut them off? I ran my 94 explorer without cats no problems. Did you mess with the oxygen sensor?

Why did you cut them off? I ran my 94 explorer without cats no problems. Did you mess with the oxygen sensor?
I took the old ones off because it had been sitting for 2 years and when i finally got it cranked it had no power, runs better just wont stay cranked on idle, and just took the 02 sensor out yesterday, unplugged it from the harness and just left it, i have a non fouler i was going to use but it wasn't the right size, but if I'm correct, all the non fouler does ou'd raises the sensor so it reads differently, what would be the difference in just leaving it out

wont stay cranked unless i keep my foot on the gas a little,
There's not much to go on, but, if I made this observation, one of the first things I would look at is the idle air control (IAC) valve. Make sure it and the other air passages in the upper intake are clean and clear.

Back