Cats and heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cats and heat

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
While doing some work on my truck today I took a good look at the cats and their location.

The cats are extremely close to the auto tranny pan as shown in the photographs.

As we all know, cats put out a tremendous amount of heat. I was wondering if anyone has used header wrap to wrap the cats and piping that is so close to the tranny pan?

I am considering doing this to further reduce the tranny temp.

Thoughts/comments welcomed ........

Attachments

• cats1.jpg
    cats1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 171
  • cats2.jpg
    cats2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 174
  • cats3.jpg
    cats3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 184

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only thing I dont like about the header wrap is it deteriorates the pipes, especially when they put mag chloride on the roads for snow.
I am planning to fabricate just simple heat guards in addition to the ones ford welded on

I don't think Al needs to worry about road crews treating the roads for snow. ;)

410Fortune said:
the only thing I dont like about the header wrap is it deteriorates the pipes, especially when they put mag chloride on the roads for snow.
I am planning to fabricate just simple heat guards in addition to the ones ford welded on

Thanks for the input.

We don't get a lot of snow here in Florida and I sure as hell am not going anywhere near it.

How do you plan on making the heat shields?

flashing and hose clamps :) The more layers of metal you get between them the more it will dissipate, like heat sinks.

The salt/mag chloride just speeds up the process, just water and sea air with header wrap = doesnt take long, from what I have been told. I personally have never used it.....to many mecyhanics telling me not to. For the track? yes! For DD, no.

Back