• Register Today It's free!

Causes for a P0174 Code?

burtonbrd138

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I have a 2000 Xls and my CEL has came on once every two days or once every day. I just recently put an cold air intake in my truck and since then i have been getting this P0174 Bank 2 System Too Leancode. The intake is on the stock hose that goes to the throttle body. I dont know what to do to fix this problem. I checked the vacuum lines and they are all connected, and i put fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank to see if that helps. And i cleaned my MAF sensor(TWICE)! I AM JUST STUMPED!:mad:

-Am i getting this code because of the intake?
-Is a new fuel filter needed?
-if someone can direct me to a HOW TO THRead would be good

-My Intake-
Photo0314.jpg

Photo0315.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be the O2 sensor or the EGR sensor?

-Am i getting this code because of the intake?
-Is a new fuel filter needed?

no and no.

but... I can say I'm not sure what would cause a single cylinder to run lean.

any other mods, or just the replacement filter?

doubtful an O2 sensor, or you'd be getting a code for an O2.

has it been running funny? hearing any pinging?

you may also just try resetting the computer (disconnect neg. battery cable for ~10-15 min), and see if it comes back.

ya i disconected the battery. I have done that every time the code comes on. No other mods to this vehicle except for the spark plugs i put in a month before this has happened. Not really running funny maybe just a little pinging when its cold and a bit of a rough idle.

Checked vacuum lines, nothing found. I am starting to think the problem is in the PCV area. Am i going in the right direction? Cause honestly i have no clue:confused:

I had a bank 1 lean before. I had to change the O ring gaskets on the intake. It only happened to me on very cold mornings

where on the intake? Pictures would help

I am sorry I will not be able to get you pics quickly. The Explorer is not here and wont be back for a few days. What I can tell you is that there are two sets of them because the intake is two pieces. The easy way to check is to get a can of parts cleaner or equivelint and spray around where the intake meets up with the engine. If the RPMs increase then you have a leak. If not, well we will have to keep thinking of other things that may be causing that code.

oh so you are saying to check around the throttle body area?

Yes, yes. Sorry for any confusion. It is a very common problem.

I also would suspect the intake gaskets. On my 99 4.0 I got the same code about two years ago and traced it to the lower intake gasket. It's now starting to idle rough again at cold start so I suspect it's time to replace them again although I'm now loosing water also so this time it might be more serious.

when you say you are loosing water do you mean radiator coolant?

how much is this O ring gasket?

I think the upper kit and the lower kit was like 70.00 It is not an O ring. It Man it was a while ago. 6 O rings and 2 gaskets I believe. I could be wrong. It in not hard but it will be time consuming. You can get the kit from your local Ford dealer. I wouldn't get too excited until you test it first.

ok i do think i have an air leak no that i think about it. When i put the intake on i had to buy an adapter for the cone filter to sit on. The adapter did not sit spot on and has a little gap where it may have air going through it. The adapter is the silver part in the first pic. Could this be the cause of the problem? I think it is and i will post pics tomorrow.
-Tell me your opinion on this.

ok i do think i have an air leak no that i think about it. When i put the intake on i had to buy an adapter for the cone filter to sit on. The adapter did not sit spot on and has a little gap where it may have air going through it. The adapter is the silver part in the first pic. Could this be the cause of the problem? I think it is and i will post pics tomorrow.
-Tell me your opinion on this.

As long as the leak is before the MAF I really don't think it would cause any problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i have gotten this code EVERY DAY since i put the intake on so i was just throwing this idea out there. I will put the stock filter on tomorrow just to test it and take pics of the gap between the adapter and MAF.
-Keep an eye on this thread so you can tell me what you think tomorrow;)

Back