Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I remember a while back someone posted something about the plastic fans failing. Well this afternoon, I got a really good close look at my fan. There were 18 cracks across the fan and one of them was almost 1/16th wide! Most were between the blades and a couple were starting to creep up the blades. Scary stuff! I would recommend that anyone who has high mileage take a real good look at their fan, especially between the blades.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 02-20-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Paul,

I noticed the same thing this weekend when I was changing plugs and wires.

My question is while I'm replacing the fan, what else should I R&R while I am in there?

I was thinking of:
Radiator service.
Coolant (obviously)
Hoses
Thermostat
Belt
Radiator cap

What about the water pump/anything else?

Best regards.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd

I've replaced mine twice. I've also tried
every trick I can think of to try and have this investigated (like for a recall). I've complained to Ford,NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety multiple times, all without even as much as a reply from any of them! So if anyone has any other ideas lets have'em because I give up!

Regards,
Barry
91 Explorer Sport 165,000 miles
Barry

The solution is simple.. get an aftermarket metal flex fan. It will even get you alittle more high rpm power.

By the way I have a extra flex fan(brand new)
email me w/ an offer if ya want it

jhix@lycosmail.com

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Slight cracks in the fan blade don't need fan replacement. There is a reinforcing steel ring with holes the fan plastic is moulded in and around for strength. The early fan blades all seem to crack at the base. Inspect closely. If the fan begins to crack up the blade, then replace. I replaced my fan on my '92 at about 75K miles and the cracks were over 1/8 inch wide. After I got the fan off and inspected it, it didn't need replacement. I already had the new one so replaced it. There has been a lot of discussion about cracked fan blades but I havn't seen a single post that relates to a blade actually coming off. I'm sure it's happened, but no one has said anything about it. I'm not saying we shouldn't be safety considerate, but shouldn't replace things unnecessarily. Jim

about a month ago i checked into replacing my cracked fan, and was told by two different shops that the only replacement is the dealer fan (stock).that there was no such thing as a flex fan for a 93 explorer. seems the clutch fan is a reverse turn fan. i NOW think that someone was pulling the wool. if there is a flex fan for a 93 4.0 please let me know.

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

ScottC-I think you are right. Because the 4.0 works on a clutch system, the factory fan is the only one that will work as a replacement. I looked at replaceing it with a aluminum one a while back, but none were available. Hank, you were right about Rick trying an electric fan replacement. Although the manufacturer told Rick that it could handle cooling up to a 8, Rick still expericened overheating. He said the stock fan worked much better. I'm not sure, but they may be other replacements by now. Hope this helps.

Hello Hix,

I thought a flex fan or even electric would be better myself but after searching the site it seems people have had better cooling with the stocker. I think it was Rick who had one heck of a time trying to get an electric to keep his exp. cool.

Which brand flex fan are you running and how much for your extra? Did you notice any change in cooling performance?

Thanks
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd

[This message has been edited by Hank (edited 02-21-2000).]

I'm not too sure about the reinforcing ring. Yes the plastic is molded into the plastic fan hub but the hub may still crack through or across its width at a location away from the molded contact with the reinforcement. This would cause it to become unstable. If it doesn't fly apart, it will certainly increase vibration (due to rotating imbalance - just like an out-of-balance tire) which will put extra load on the water pump bearings. In my opinion the cost of the replacement fan is not worth risking the possible damage due to the fan separating or becoming unbalanced. I got a replacement fan from Ford Parts Outlet [parts@ford-outlet.com] for $28.00 plus $4 s/h. The damage a flying-apart fan might cause could be - radiator, hoses, belts, etc. I do think though that it's a point well-taken that no one has yet reported a fan explosion on this forum (as far as I know).

Hank - While replacing your fan you should also consider replacing the serpentine belt tensioner. I was at the Los Coyotes run last summer and Kev Kocher shared the story of when his went out all of the sudden. They were 4-wheeling out in the desert when all of the sudden there was a big noise, lots of smoke and no power steering. The bearing in the tensioner pulley had seized causing the pulley also to seize and the belt died shortly thereafter. So there he was in the middle of nowhere, sans drive belt. I don't remember how they limped out but it was a good story. Based on that I changed my tensioner. I also got it from Ford Parts outlet - I think it was about $55 or so.

------------------
Pete

Thought for the day:
Good judgement comes from experience;
Experience comes from bad judgment.

Thanks Pete,

The extra $55 is well worth it since I am going to be in there anyway. Unless I hear any other feedback, I'm going to stick with the stock replacement fan.

Thanks for the input.
hg

------------------
'91 EB, 4dr, 2wd

Many of us from the 5.0 world use an electric fan supplied by Mr. Gasket. It's not cheap (about $125) but that includes a good quality temperature switch.

I don't know why Rick had troubles with his electric fan because I can personally guarantee the Mr. Gasket fan will push twice as much air as the stock clutch fan. I would suspect his switch was malfunctioning.

Oh yeah, More power too...Argh, Argh,Argh,,,

------------------
Rick Reynolds

91' Navajo - Stock.....not for long
67' Mustang - 25 psi Procharger, etc......
95' Integra - Hey, It's the wife's and I married into it. ;-)

Hank-as Pete said, the replacement fan doesn't cost that much. I also change my belt once every two years automatically. I use Goodyear Gatorbacks. Excellent belt. During this time I spin all the pulleys by hand checking for worn bearings. Fortunatly, I was able to find a tensioner pulley, waterpump, powersteering and altenator going bad by doing this. Call it luck or what you wish, it kept me from getting stranded on the roadside. I personally think that the stock fan does a good job of cooling. I also had my radiator upgraded with an all aluminum three row one when my original sprung a leak and still had clearence for the shroud. The shroud helps funnel the air through your radiator so its an important part of the cooling system. Hope this helps.

Back