• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB + AM/FM???

jowoodall

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hey everyone. I am somewhat new to the CB scene (like 3 months) and I am really sick of my antenna. I started out with a great radio and a short, cheap antenna and have regretted it ever since. I have been wanting to upgrade, but didn't want a second big antenna.
One day last week I was looking at different webistes and noticed that some companies (such as firestik) make splitters for CB antennas that allow you to get your AM/FM reception and CB from the same CB antenna. so here is my idea:
I want to replace my current factory AM/FM antenna with a ~4' CB whip and use a splitter to get my AM/FM.
Questions:
1. has anyone tried this or know how well it REALLY works?
2. (I have a '98 sport) Does anyone know of a good way to install the antenna without having to destroy the plastic "thing" (casing, or insulator, or random piece of plastic present only for asthetic or medicinal purposes) around the current antenna?

Any ideas would be great. and just an FYI, I am just a poor college student and can't afford anything over a $100 or so (sorry no HAM for me).

Thanks guys,

Joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sandy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
They are a compromise at best but if all you are doing is talking to the next vehicle in line on the trail then it might work OK. Too much work just to try it out and see.

I have used a small magnet mounted antenna call the Little Will by Wilson on my wife’s Navajo and it performs very well.

The wire is long enough to come in from the side window or door.

I would stay away from the AM/FM unless it is the only way.

Good Luck on your choices, remember the above is only my opinion and everyone has one !

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Antenna

Jowoodall,

I agree with Sandy. I tried one of the combo AM/FM/CB antenna splitters years ago, and found that I had to turn off the AM/FM radio when transmitting on the CB. Also the CB didn't recieve or transmit very well. Perhaps they have improved them some, but I think they'll be a disappointment for you.

I think Sandy's advice to spend the money on a decent magmount type antenna that you can remove when your'e not wheelin'is a bettter bet. Wilson antennas are good, and the "Lil will" is no exception. I'm not sure what they sell for, but I have a similar magmount made by Hustler, the 1C100 model. that sells for under $30, It has a loading coil at the magnetic base, and a 41" long stainless whip, and 15' of coax cable. The performance is pretty decent, and it's easy to install and remove.

I think either the Wilson or the Hustler antennas would work well fro you.

Good luck.

jowoodall

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Well, I took everyone's advice and got a "Lil' will" instead of replacing my current AM/FM. The new antenna works very well, but i am still not thrilled about the looks. I guess it is just a trade-off that I'll deal with. If anyone wants to add anything about mixing the AM/FM and CB (using a CB antenna of course) I am still very interested to know how it works out for other people. I think it is a great idea, but i was real paranoid about how well it would work.

Sandy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
jowoodall,
To really get over the thought of using the AM/FM/CB antenna, buy one and try it out.
If it works for you then that is that!
Nail it and have a brew.

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Good Luck on your choice.