• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB Antenna mounting options?

sirhk100

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I may get a CB this weekend. How strong are the antenna mounts? Will they stay on in high speed prerunning and desert racing stuff? Jumps and stuff? If so is one magnet antenna setup better then another? If not, where did you guys mount them? I have the stock bumpers with no intension of getting a trail bumper or anything. Also, I don't have a roof rack of any type. Any suggestions or pictures of where or how you mounted yours would be great!!!

Khris

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
I just have a Radio Shack mag mount. It works fine. I've had it on going 90 down the interstate with no problems. For low tree branches, it falls off though, but that would be for any mag mount. I just put mine in the center of my roof near the back.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
My magmount stayed on, even after driving into a low parking garage with it on. I could hear the sound of the top scraping, but it didn't even move on the roof.

They are pretty strong. Most people seem to favor Wilson Magnetic antennas though.....

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
There are a number of mounts you can use, depending on the type of antenna you have.

If you buy a magnet mount /antenna already setup then you have a limiting factor of mating the threads of one to the other.
If you use a fiberglass whip, my favorite is the Wilson Flexiwhip, you can mount the 3/8x24 thread to just about any mount out there.

there is a magnet mount with three large magnets and it will stay in-place, even during jumps.

Good Luck,