• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB antenna mounting questions win 2 bikes on roof rack

srvblues00

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
I have spent about 1.5 hours tonight doing a little research on CB antennas and CB radios in general. I currently have a CB installed in my truck with a crappy thru-glass antenna which I hope to be getting rid of soon! I have pretty much narrowed it down to getting a Wilson Lil Whip antenna. I was hoping to put in on the roof of the X towards the rear of the vehicle so that I could run the cable thru the rear hatch easily and then let the cable go behind the platic trim pieces all the way to the front. After reading an in-depth article on SWR and tuning antennae, I realized that when I am carrying 1 or 2 bicycles on my roof rack, it will change the SWR and hinder performance. I am wondering, how much of a noticeable difference will this make? Is it gonna really be obvious, or will it be slight enough to not worry about? I would be open to mounting an antenna on the driver's side of the car across from the radio antenna if I have to, but I would rather go with a roof magnet mount, mainly because it would be simple to install, and easy to remove if I had to. Since my truck is 2wd, I am not doing any offroading. The CB is basically for roadtrip entertainment and cop tracking/avoidence. :D If I don't go with the magnetic roof mount antenna, what is a good antenna for mounting up front? I don't want to drill any holes in the body, but I wouldn't mind drilling under the hood and having the antenna coming out between the body and the hood.. I think I have seen some like this. Well, enough rambling for now! Any comments or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
put it in between the front two doors on the roof like mine and leebos..... the bikes probably wont cuase too much interference

srvblues00

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
Originally posted by jimabena74
put it in between the front two doors on the roof like mine and leebos..... the bikes probably wont cuase too much interference

I thought about that, but it seems to me that the coax would get a little more beat up and abused if i had to go around a front door. I dunno, I'll think about that, it may work well. Thanks!

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Happy New Year :usa: :chug: :usa: :ca:

First, the best location is as jimabena74 has stated.
Second, if the bike have an effect on the wave pattern of the Little Wil Antenna it will proably be more front receive and transmit. On the Hy-way I think that may be good.

So I do not think you have any problem except to order the antenna with the long coax set then cut to length and put on a new connector. Set the SWR for the channel you will be working on most and let thte others go where they may.

On this forum somewhere it was stated how to run the coax thru the rear hatch from the middle of the roof. Look for it, it was done well.

Good Luck,
Let the forum know how it works out.

scratched 95

Reaction score
City, State
Millersburg, Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
If you run the cable between the rear lift gate and the body, measure your clearance! On mine, it gets really tight about half way open. Tight enough to actually squeeze and damage the cable.

One installation I saw was for a guy that didn't want a permanently mounted antenna, but didn't want loose cables in the truck. He did a permanent install of the cable, including a hole thru the roof. He mounted a BNC connector in the left roof rack channel just behind the front cross-member. (drilled right thru the channel and epoxied the connector in the hole) A rubber boot seals it when not being used. He has about four feet of cable on his mag mount. Stick it anywhere on the roof, then plug it in. A longer cable would even let it reach the hood. Neat!

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
srvblues00,

There is a thread called "CB Radio Install" that has the coax run thru the rear hatch area, maybe it will assist you.

Good Luck,