• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB Antenna Question

joker1457

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
So I installed a CB antenna on my 98, I made my own tail light bracket. I have noticed that others have made a ground to the antenna. Is that necessary, Im not very familiar with CB's but doesnt the antenna just pick up a signal for the CB.

n2epv

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4.6, 01 Jetta VR6
Yes, that mounting plate should be grounded. If the plate is held down with at least one screw which goes directly into a metal body panel, that should do it. I believe the factory screws which hold in the tail light actually screw into plastic blocks, so that won't be a ground.

Without a ground, the antenna will not work as well and you will probably pick up more static on receive with the engine running. Also see if you can borrow an SWR (antenna match) meter. Some CB antennas are adjustable and can be tuned for best performance in each installation.

joker1457

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
Yes, that mounting plate should be grounded. If the plate is held down with at least one screw which goes directly into a metal body panel, that should do it. I believe the factory screws which hold in the tail light actually screw into plastic blocks, so that won't be a ground.

Without a ground, the antenna will not work as well and you will probably pick up more static on receive with the engine running. Also see if you can borrow an SWR (antenna match) meter. Some CB antennas are adjustable and can be tuned for best performance in each installation.
Your correct and I planned on changing over the plastic blocks for the taillight to metal this evening, That solves the grounding issue. As fare as the antenna is concerned its from Radio Shack and doesnt seem to have any ajustments of any sort. Is it true you can short out the CB if its not tuned to the antenna?

Sandy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Your correct and I planned on changing over the plastic blocks for the taillight to metal this evening, That solves the grounding issue. As fare as the antenna is concerned its from Radio Shack and doesnt seem to have any ajustments of any sort. Is it true you can short out the CB if its not tuned to the antenna?

Have you chgd the plastic blocks around... DON'T. The blocks are there for ground and vibration isolation. It would be far better for you to add a ground wire from the mount to the body then to the frame if possible.

After connecting to the body check the SWR if you can't adjust it to the lowest possible setting (< 1.5) then connect the wire to the frame too.

If the center conductor is shorted to ground (either at the antenna mount or within the coax) or IF the SWR is not adjusted (tuned for low SWR) and is very high you can burn up the finals of the CB but Short it out by the coax is a little harder to do.

The antenna - 1st I do not like Rat Shaq and am the 1st to say so...; the antenna may work ok, you will need to install it, tune it for low swr and transmit on it to see for sure.

good luck