• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

cb feed back problems

Fish Man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone, I got my cobra cb all taken apart and I extended all the wires for the mic plug in so i can integrate it. anyway i hooked it straight to the battery to test it and every time you hit the mic the pa speaker makes crazy loud high noises. if you cover the pa speaker with your stomach it doesnt make the noise, and works exactly like its supposed to but as soon as you move it away it makes the noise again. why would it do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Z

zebadoba

How close are the PA speaker and the mic? If you can cover the PA speaker with your stomach, then they are too close, and the mic is picking up the sound coming out of the speaker.

It becomes one big loop, sound of out speaker into mic, amplified, out of speaker back into mic, amplified, out of speaker in to mic and so on, until you feedback. Move the PA speaker away from the mic and the feedback should go away.

Let us know,
Andy-

Fish Man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
hey thanks for the help! i actually talked to my buddies dad and he told me pretty much the same thing. i know nothing about cbs but after talking to him i installed it (all this happened when i was testing it to see if it worked) and now it works perfectly! i integrated the cb into the car like crazy...i love it, ill put some pics up one day... thanks for your input!

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
:cool:

Hey Fish Man,

Can you post some pics of the extended wiring you have installed and where you mounted the pieces ?

thanks,

Fish Man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
hey sandy, sure thing...one day ill get around to it but till then (digi cam is at home, im at school) ill just tell you what i did. the cb is in the center console (tight fit...might not fit once i put an antenna on it :( ) and then i soldered the mic plug to some more wire, connected all that stuff and have a mic outlet on the side of the console...like up towards where your knees are on the full length console. the pa speaker is hidden in the grill. i like it alot.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
um you shouldnt be runnign the cb without the antenna it could damage the internals

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Fish Man said:
hey sandy, sure thing...one day ill get around to it but till then (digi cam is at home, im at school) ill just tell you what i did. the cb is in the center console (tight fit...might not fit once i put an antenna on it :( ) and then i soldered the mic plug to some more wire, connected all that stuff and have a mic outlet on the side of the console...like up towards where your knees are on the full length console. the pa speaker is hidden in the grill. i like it alot.
:cool:

How did this all work out, any additional problems with the extended cables ?

Any more feed-bak in the PA speaker ?

What about your regular CB speaker, did you use an standard external speaker ?

Fish Man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
i run the cb in pa mode all the time...therefore it doesnt use an antenna and i would assume it wouldnt damage its internals. sandy...it worked out awesome! still have no antenna but the pa is working really well :D use it to yell at people all the time. as for the speaker...i spliced some wire into it and im gonna put it one of my vents i think. that way it will be hidden and all. oh, and i have no problems with extending the cables and no feed back with the pa!