• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

CB problems maybe...

CobraXP

Just another White X
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Early 97 X
Sounds good pickupman. I run a Francis 5x5 on the Ranger and a Superstar 3900 - SWR runs around 1.2. No power in it though besides a supermod chip. On the Explorer, it took a while to get it below 1. I'm running a Wilson 2000 on it. Had to cut it down about 3/4" to get it right.

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
and, please, don't think i was ripping on you..... just trying to put some facts out there.... I used to know a guy who tried to sell some base station antennas as "pre tuned" for "any power level"..... basically he put it on his roof and tuned it.... under some circumstances they'll work fine. but if you put it too close to another house, metal flashing, windows, even a tree that wasn't there for initial tuing, and it changes the SWR for that particular installation. I'd like to see some pics of your antenna intalls at some point, though....and a weblink for the antenna company. you've sparked my curiosity....

CobraXP

Just another White X
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Early 97 X
No offense taken. Tomorrow I'll take some pics of my setups. Nothing fancy on either one, just effective to make sure the grounds are sturdy and the coaxes are right.

I've been looking for a link to Francis information, but Google just pullled stores and info on how Francis was bought out by Barjon (same people that bought Wilson). Haven't seen a good site for just tech info though. If you do a search, look up Francis 5.5 antenna. My knowledge of them come from family history. My father is a retired truck driver. He started as an independent and then retired from a union company. He has always had radios that talked and had great ears. We've used and are still using different antennas. Dad runs a Firestik and I run Wilson 2000's and Francis'. I started working at the same truck line, and have been around radios all my life. Gone through a few myself...

Jimofware - not trying to hijack your thread... :D Just get to rambling at times... :)