• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

CB problems

Jason94sport

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
What does it mean when I don't get any SWR signal at all. I have the meter & used it like the SWR posts say to & get no reading at all. I replaced the cable. Is the CB shot? the antenna? I have a short 3 foot fiber glass antenna(forgot who makes it but it's a good one) I did get the CB used off of Ebay a few years ago. Just decided to try & get it working. I get lights on the cb & channels. Don't get any reception. The PA portion works.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Nasty350LT1

Reaction score
City, State
Just around the corner
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD
What you mean to say is that when you push the button on the microphone there is "NO OUTPUT" power showing at all on the meter ? If so, then maybe the FInal Output Transistors in the CB are Shot. You need to get this CB repaired or buy a new one.

mesa 33

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater,Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
What brand of cb do you have, because mine and my buddy's does the same thing. Sometimes we can get static from it and sometimes we cant get anything. Right now we both have midlands but im changeing mine to a cobra that i have.

Jason94sport

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
A older radio shack unit. Yes when I press the button I get no signal on the meter.
I'm looking for another one the same model. I need this one cause everything in my X is working/mounted around it. RS no longer makes this CB. I'd have to remount/rewire a bunch of things. I don't want to do that. I will try another CB from a friend to make sure it's the CB.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
:cool:

There is a good chance that Uniden and Cobra makes a CB of equivalent size to the Rat Shaq CB.

Look at the CB Store on the Web and compare.

The CB, lights come on, the mic is installed, meter no-worky… could be the Mic is bad or a wire is broken in the mic cord. The cords on older CB go bad all the time because of age. Borrow a Microphone from a friend or buy one and then return it if it isn’t the mic.

Luck,

Jason94sport

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
Never thought of that. However the PA does work. So maybe the mic is good?

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
No Output

If the PA function works OK, then the problem isn't likely your Mic. Does your CB have Single Side Band capability? It will have a switch or knob labeled SSB, or LSB or USB If it does. If this is the case, is the knob or switch set to one of these? if so, pushing the PTT on the mic wil not give you an output reading, as there is no carrier in SSB mode. Switch the radio to AM mode and try again. Measuring SWR is best done in AM mode. If there isn't any SSB/AM mode selector, then the radio is AM only, (most are) and either your meter is bad, or your radio has no RF output! If that is the case, best to get another radio. The cost of repair of that one will likely exceed the value!

Good luck

Jason94sport

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
Finally was able to get the same model off of Ebay. That one works fine. The old CB was shot I guess. So I'm good.