CB radio and lightning | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB radio and lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was driving with my CB on, and was getting some really bad interference with each flash of lightning. My question is, is this typical, or do you think it might be because I am running my cheap wire antenna right now? Do you think my fiberglass whip would get really bad interference also?

Also, during the lightning flashes, I could hear people talking through the static, that I couldn't pick up otherwise...:scratch:

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I would say that this is probably not abnormal. I'm not sure about the speech you are hearing through the static though. That's a head scratcher.

<

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
The voices sound like "Skipping" to me.

Radio waves caught on top of the ionospheric until they finally can cut through and you recieve them.

You can some times talk like this, even to people out of state.

From another source:

How far can you talk on the CB Radio? It all depends on several circumstances which are power output strength, height/style of antenna and your geological location, local terrain, and weather conditions. On walkie-talkies you can expect up to 1-2 miles at best at street level. On a mobile unit 2-5 miles . On a base unit. 5-30 miles or more depending on the above stated circumstances. I have reached as far as 60 miles on my base and 40 miles on my mobile. Please remember however that I have top of the line radio and antennas therefore I get out further than your typical radio shack setups. Anyway local conversations are what is called line of site transmission. Then there is a phenomenon that allows long distance communications that is called Ionospheric Wave Propagation aka “skip" or "DX". It is when solar magnetic radiation emanating from sunspots (magnetic storms on the sun) charges the Earth's ionosphere which is over over 30-250 miles high up in the sky causing it to act like a mirror for radio signals below 30mhz so it is possible for the signals to bounce off the charged ionosphere and end up 100 miles away, or up to 12,000 miles away on the other side of the world. Low power stations in theory can DX/Skip, however with all the high powered radios out there they are usually drowned out by the higher powered stations. Sunspots which cause skip are on a 11 year cycle, therefore skip conditions go on a 11 year cycle (intensity wise) and in 2006 we are at the lowest activity part of the cycle. The cycle will peak in 2012. "Skip" isn't always happening. Some days it is very strong and you can talk all over the world. Other days there is no skip and you can only talk line of site. It completely depends on sunspot intensity on the surface of the sun. There is no solid way to predict when skip conditions will be present.

http://www.skipshooters.com/Home.html

Jeff - :navajo:

<

Sandy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Last night I was driving with my CB on, and was getting some really bad interference with each flash of lightning. My question is, is this typical, or do you think it might be because I am running my cheap wire antenna right now? Do you think my fiberglass whip would get really bad interference also?

A CB work on AM (Amplitude Modulation) which is just happens to be what everthing else puts out for static and can cause a CB static; electric motors, secondary harmonics from TVs, other Radios, etc, etc and lighting.
When you have the next lighting storm flip your FM Radio over to AM and see what is going on, you will hear the lighting.
No biggy, better coax won't help, best thing to do if the lighting is close is not transmit.

Also, during the lightning flashes, I could hear people talking through the static, that I couldn't pick up otherwise...:scratch:

As SVO stated "SKIP", this is where the Ionosphere get electrified and cause the CB's signal to bounce back to earth further away than the usual line of sight transmissions, giving the CB Operator the ability to talk to people many miles away.
Lighting will cause this effect the same as Sun Spots will too.

<

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
The voices sound like "Skipping" to me.

Radio waves caught on top of the ionospheric until they finally can cut through and you recieve them.

Jeff - :navajo:

X2 On that.

<

<

Status
Not open for further replies.