• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Cb Radio

L4CX

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Sorry for not responding too much. I've been at camp and have no access to a computer. I know it wouldn't fry the radio all the time, but there is a chance. You can tune a FiberGlass antenna by triming the wire that is wound around the top. Some firestick antennas have a screw at the top that you screw up or down. That's if they are top loaded. If it's too short your pretty much screwed. You could always add a quick dissconnect to add length.....Or a spring. I wouldn't suggest a Spring. They mess up things from what I understand. Oh, BTW, My antenna isn't a firestick it's some one I picked up at a truck stop in Lansing. That web site is very helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mkrucejr

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport 4x4
Wow....CB talk...I haven't had a CB in 10 yrs. I had the Ultimate hookup (and true red neck fashion) I had a 85 tbird, with a 102inch antenna ON THE ROOF. I also had a 250watt amp. geez, those were the days. I don't know if I am ready for another CB, yet.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
so i got the radio and am in the process of getting an antenna, what is the best way to go about getting it installed?. can i install it and run the wires and just get the antenna tuned professionally, or should i get the wires run by profesesionals too? appreciate the help

peace
the biggreen,

How's this go'n ?

All installed and tuned ?

thebiggreen

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
not yet, not im just waiting to get the mounting kit and coax, but i know exactly where everything is going, when its all done, ill let everyone know and post lots of pics. thanks for checking in though.

peace

thebiggreen

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
finally, i got everything in for christmas, and it was installed today. i will be tuning it soon, prolly monday, and i will be taking pictures of the finished product and posting them for all to see, its been a long time coming, but it was well worth it. later yall

storlied

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
Would it be illegal to run 2 antenna's? Probably not hm?

My question is, with 2 antennas .. is the power split 50/50? I was told if I did this with a cb, I would get a 50% power loss when transmitting? Which didn't exactly make too much sense, but he knew quite a bit..

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Illegal? No, I don't think so. As far as the physics of two antennas, that's beyond my knowledge. There is a scientific distance between the two antennas for most efficient use. Too close together and they only give you symmetry on your truck, and *may* give you worse results than a single antenna.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
My question is, with 2 antennas .. is the power split 50/50? I was told if I did this with a cb, I would get a 50% power loss when transmitting? Which didn't exactly make too much sense, but he knew quite a bit..

As rizzjc said...

Their is a Coaxial Harness that can be used for two antennas called a Co-Phased Harness made up of 75 ohm Coax, but as rizzjc stated there is a required distance to operate properly; I believe 1/4 Wave Length minimum.
1/4 Wave Length for CB or 11 meters is 9 feet, which is why the dual antennas work best on the big rigs.
Another thing about dual antennas is that they need to be tuned individually using a standard piece of Coax the same length as a single leg of the Co-Phase Harness. Then the Co-Phased Harness can be put in place.
Also, the power of the CB will be reduced, I am not sure if there are any exact number of power loss or power division but there is a reduction in overall performance; ever wonder why a Trucker uses an Amplifier.

Now nothing says you can't mount two antennas and only hook up one but that in turn redirects the output of the antenna toward the main metal mass of the vehicle, if that is OK then try it out.

IMHO of course :rolleyes: :salute: to reduce this to simple terms on a standard vehicle, a single antenna, properly tuned and using a stock output CB (4 watts), will out performs a dual antenna setup.

By the way where did we start talking about Dual Antennas ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tdavis Interesting ham radio.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
K ham radio reccomendations Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
bigred4x4 Cb radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
R Entry Level Ham Radio help. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 20
Rick New radio for the Pumpkin Yaesu FT400 Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
T 5th Generation (2015) Ham Radio Install Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 11
B cb radio/antenna help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
T CB Radio and antenna install on a 3rd Generation Explorer Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
tdavis Getting Ham Radio for under $40.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
M In-dash CB Radio for a 01 Ranger fittings Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
LONO100 cb radio operation ettiquette and tips Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 27
LONO100 my first CB radio install (clean install, still working out bugs!) Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 39
M Sport Trac Radio install in High console Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
n.gardner Radio help... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
M First CB Radio Suggestion Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
Tbars4 Man reaches astronauts with amateur radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
Keeper0311 Looking for advice on a good radio. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
Elessar65 CB antenna in stock radio antenna location Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
justsomeguy Race Radio Question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
S Power supply for radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
CobraMountaineer 2nd Gen Install Ham Radio Style Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
M Ford electronics vs. high power radio transmitters. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
W Connecting CB radio to stereo? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
S CB Radio Newb. Need Help. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 10
Rick What's new in the ham radio world?? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
I 10m radio on CB bands? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
P Single DIN radio and CB in stock radio space Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
H 2006+ Radio Installs Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 14
big5dogg cb radio whats necessary? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 44
Charlie CB radio and lightning Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
91exploreron37 Bad radio or connection? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 13
Glen4X4 Need Expert Radio Advice Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 8
Raminator157 Fire Dept Radio Installation (Need Help/Suggestions) Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 24
M I got my new CB radio what do you think?... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
2 cb radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
rizzjc Radio installations by Explorer model Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
rizzjc 3rd Gen Radio Installations Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
rizzjc 2nd Gen Radio Installations Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 64
rizzjc New radio opinions Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 14
9 Cb Radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
Rick Ham Radio Forum Moderator Needed Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 14
Lt.Jim 1st Gen Radio Installations Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 29
A Wheres a good spot to mount a radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 17
U What do you guy's think about this radio scanner? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
B CB Radio & Antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 22
C VHF Radio Install Write Up with pics Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
9 What is HAM radio and.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
C Radio Mounting Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
M cant get anyone on radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
B Handy 2-way radio installation tips Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1