• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

CB transmitt probs

Yomie

Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
I have had my CB installed for about 2 years now, here recently (last 6 months) I have been having a problem transmitting while the vehicle is running. WHen the vehicle is shut off i can transmitt perfect, but when it is running, it iwll transmit my first word then turn to poo.... I can receive perfect with it running or not, just problems transmitting.

I have tested the mic and there are no problems there, lpease help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
You must have a ground loop or something simliar happening. Where do the power wire and Antenna cable run?

Yomie

Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
the power/ground run straight through the firewall to the battery. I have the antenna wire running up the a-pillar under the headliner then out to the antenna mounted to the bumper

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I can't help, but I've noticed the ham/cb gurus here only check every week or two. If you can wait, I know they can fix you up. ;)

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
I'll jump on the wagon for waiting for the HAM/CB Guru's but while we are waiting...

It sounds like your grounds are going to he!! but it may not be your antenna or CB.

There are so many other grounds in the vehcile and not to mention maybe the electric motors are aging and causing more static.

Do you have the Fuel pump filter in place ?

Check the fuel tank and see if the ground wire from the tank to the frame is still there.
Check the hood to body ground and put grounds in place on the doors to body, including the rear hatch.

Is your antenna a magnet mount, if not, check the ground from the mount to body.

That a good start, go for it.

Later and Luck.

p.s. Sometimes a ground wire from teh rear of the CB chassis to the body metal help a little.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Sandy said:
I'll jump on the wagon for waiting for the HAM/CB Guru's but while we are waiting...
Hehe Sandy, you're one of the the gurus I was talking about! :D

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
RangerX said:
Hehe Sandy, you're one of the the gurus I was talking about! :D

Yeah, when I saw that, I thought, wtf also!

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
While you're at it, you might check your antenna tuning.... strange things happen when an antenna is out of tune.

Check your battery to body ground
Check your voltage while the truck is running (get an actual meter, not that crappy thing they put on the dash), should be around 13.5.
with the truck off, measure resistance between your radio's chassis and the truck chassis. shoudl be LOW.
check your antenna ground.

If your radio is mounted to metal in the truck, check the resistance ther e(should be low), if not, check the ground wire going to the battery, make sure it's in good shape.

If you have a power mic (one with a battery in it) change the battery.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Yomie said:
WHen the vehicle is shut off i can transmitt perfect, but when it is running, it will transmit my first word then turn to poo.... I can receive perfect with it running or not, just problems transmitting.

:cool:

YOMIE, How's this coming along ?

RangerX & Crankcase,

Thanks, but I am so far from a Guru it isn't funny, I just like to talk to hear myself talk... or in the case of the web I like to see my words in print.

Later,

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
Sandy said:
:cool:

YOMIE, How's this coming along ?

RangerX & Crankcase,

Thanks, but I am so far from a Guru it isn't funny, I just like to talk to hear myself talk... or in the case of the web I like to see my words in print.

Later,

Well, what you usually say is right LOL! Keep it up!

Yomie

Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
I don't have internet at my new house yet, so i only check once a week. I just recieved your message, i will probably check my grounds and do as you stated tomorrow, i will let you know how it works out. THanks alot