• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CB trouble

davidrob

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I just installed a cb in my 2000 ranger. When the engine is off the cb works perfectly and comes in clear, but whenever the engine is running i get very bad static that almost makes the cb unusable. My dad mentioned maybe i need to tune the antenna. I tend to think its ingnition interference. Anyone know how to fix this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
You might be getting interference from the fuel pump. Try relocating the antenna and see if it helps.

davidrob

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I have moved it several times and no change. Anything else it could be?

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Davidrob,

You might have to describe the static to help us identify it. Is it a pop,pop, when you are idling, or a buzz/whine, or a medium pitch howl. The pop is ignition, plug wires, etc., the buzz/whine may be fuel pump, and the howl might be the alternator. Do you have your power leads run directly to the battery, and does the radio and antenna have really good grounds? let us know.

davidrob

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Its definatly not a popping sound. Seems to be more of a howl/whine noise. I have it wired to an adapter that plugs into my power port (cigarette lighter) inside the cab so i can remove it easily

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
davidrob,

Sounds like alternator whine, especially if it increases in pitch with engine RPM increase. Power port power isn't especially clean (static free) since it's intended mostly for small device battery re-charging, spotlights, even inverters to run AC devices. No need to filter for these. I'm betting a dedicated power circuit that you wire directly to the truck battery will help. You can get quick disconnect power connectors to install inside the cab so you can quickly remove the radio. We in the Ham radio emergency communications world prefer the "Anderson Power Poles for this, but almost any polarized plug system so you can't accidentally reverse the polarity and fry your radio will work. Use the "search" button in the grey tool bar at the top of the page to search on "cb or radio power leads" to find lots of posts on how to run these leads. Good luck!

davidrob

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
It doesn't increase with engine rpm though, would it still be the alternator? But I will use some other form of connector, probably something from anderson power products.

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
sounds like it could be conducted noise from the fuel pump.... but that's just a SWAG (Scientific wild a$$ guess).... if you put the key in and don't start the truck, but just turn it to the ON position, do you hear the whine for a second or two, then it stops? If so, your fuel pump is still a possible culprate..... runnign directly off the battery would still be a good bet to clean this up.

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4

dustyd63

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Ranger
The quickest way to tell if it's the fuel pump is to turn your cb on, and then turn your ignition to run (not start). The fuel pump should kick in for only about a second. If you get a second's worth of static, that's your problem.

To test for the alternator, just start 'er up and disconnect the wires leading to the alternator while running.

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT

I posted a short message about types of noise and troubleshooting in this forum.... it might not be a bad idea to try and build up that thread as a troubleshooting aid for peopel with noise problems....

a filter isn't really a cure-all. most filters will NOT fix radiated noise....

just some random ramblings...

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Finding Noise

Pickupman,

I "Stuck" your post and it is at the top of the forum now. Thanks.

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
not a problem... it needs some work, but it's at least a start....