The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource for over 25 years!
Performance upgrades, maintenance, modifications and problem solving. Covering the Explorer, ST, Ecoboost, Lincoln Aviator, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Mazda Navajo, Ford Ranger, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.
Thanks for that info. I would like to have one in my B2. I have a friend who has a fork lift that can lift this truck up by the wheels and see at what point it will roll. Then I could mark the angle with that meter or even use my bubble angle finder. Even if I do install one, traversing a hill is a whole lot different then a forklift gradually lifting you sideways.
I like the idea that it does both angles and the temp. also.
I really like them but I'm not very happy with the install...that however that is my fault as I didn't do a very good job on my fender triming so I have to live with the results. Point is do a good fender trim before installing.
The other thing that I'm pissed about is the amount of rust that I found under the chrome flares/trim. Those things are brutal for making making your fenders rust faster. I just canceled them from the list of things to add to the Explorer.
Removed the stock 3.73 crown gear from the open carrier...
Me telling the open carrier where to go...
Bolted the 3.73 crown gear to the Auburn ECTED locker...
Before installing the locker and crown gear I had to fix a few of the bolt holes with a Helicoil kit.
The instructions are pretty basic, but to the point. The first hole I was a little nervous taking a drill bit the housing...then followed by a tap. Once the first one was done it was a cake walk.
Cleaned out all the shavings and test fit the locker. It was almost a perfect swap...just had to lose a tiny bit of shim to make it fit.
Ok now for the crap show. You see this is an electric locker therefore you have to have wires running into the case to the locker. Auburn has this cool little deal that self seals the wires so that your gear oil stays in and the water stays out. Now it looked very straight forward. Drill a hole tap it and you're done. In the end it was that easy...it was the getting there that was ridiculous. Needless to say I wasted half a day pissing around trying to get the right tap. Once I had it I was off to the races.
Inside the case...
I think I picked a good spot as there is nothing that can hit it as the axle arm travels up and down.
Wire plug, I'll finish the wiring later as there where other issues that needed to be addressed...
So now I'm at the point of do I install the c-clip or not...
You guessed it the c-clip got the same treatment as the open carrier...
I'm working on a c-clip eliminator right now...so stay tuned.
Ok so all the internal stuff is done and the axle needed to be reassembled. I took the time to have all new u-joints installed in the axle shafts at Pat's Driveline. They are greasable with a needle point, but the nipples make for a really tight fit getting the axle shafts back through the knuckle.
I also noted that I had to replace a spindle bearing as the passenger side cage bearing exploded and took out my locking hub with it.
Here's the new one pressed in. The guy at Pat's Driveline said that Ford used the incorrect bearing and that new replacements are a much better design. For $20 I had both sides replaced.
As it stands it's almost ready to go...just need to replace the one hub, fill it with gear oil, finish the wiring, and test it out.
A couple of side notes...
Took the time to install the F-150 coil spring retainers, going to do the same thing to my Explorer as well.
Finally got the C-clip eliminator finished up. I ordered custom coil springs to make it. They gave me 3 of them but I only needed one. So far the garage testing it worked great. I'll be trail testing it this weekend and I'll let you guys know how it works.
Oh and I wired up the locker...I flick the switch and it has power but I still have no idea if it's actually working or not...another item to test this weekend. :thumby:
I can post specs on the spring later if anyone is interested.
As promised here's my report from the weekend of wheeling.
I removed the sway bar so that I could maximize my flex in the front.
First the locker...I noticed right away that with it unlocked I had to put more effort into steering as it was a lot more stiff then before. I also added a steering stabilizer so that also probably added to the stiffness. That being said bump steer was almost 0. I found the limited slip or the locker really showed it's stuff when climbing hills. There was hardy any effort at all. In the mud holes it was a mixed bag. At times it totally helped out and other times it left me wanting a rear locker. I'll post a video later where you can see a that a rear locker would have been better.
Ok so that now leads to the c-clip eliminator. With the sway bars off and allowing the TTB to fully flex with the extended radius arms I figure that that would really test the set. All I have to say is WOW...I had crazy flex like never before and not once did the shaft coming out of the pumpkin become an issue. I'm very pleased with the set up...a little more testing and I'd pretty much call it a great mod for locked or stock front ends.