mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
CCR2001

Moab's done, now it's time to start thinking about the Colorado Colors Run 2001! It was agreed upon that the "COLORADO CONTINGENT" (you know who you are) will be planning this year's event and I wanted to get the ball rolling now...

All ideas - regarding dates, trails, etc. - will be appreciated as we attempt to plan an event as enjoyable as those of past years!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To give our .2 cents worth, we would like to go back to the Ouray area. I think there are trails there that we didn't do before plus I would like my folks to see that area.

They went with us on the Moab trip and had a blast so they are ready for CCR2001 also.

This thread will also get very long like the Moab one did so I suggest after we set a date that we start another thread so people don't have to go back thru all the discussion unless they want to.

Would I be able to find the trails or the towns next to them on a map? I'm interested in going, but I don't know where any of the trails are in Colorado. Thanks....

Tara and I REALLY want to go... I'm open to just about any date... Would Labor Day be a good weekend for this??? I know its a big Moab weekend so a lot of wheelers will be there plus it gives most of us an extra day w/o having to take to much vacation time... And its still early enough that if we decide where we can get hotel rooms... I'd even be willing do drive to the little town and get hotel info if we can't find it on the web or by calling the chamber of commerce there... Anyway those are my thoughts...

Well, if i'm out that direction or get some vacation time I'd love to go. I'm stuck in the east but may end up out there to finish school (PLEASE GOD LET THAT HAPPEN) and am tired of the southeast. I've got a great webpage for trail info.

4x4 Adventure in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado

It has alot of info. Also check out this page.

The San Juans - Jeeping

Enjoy and keep up to date on all this if any of you could.

I also like the idea of returning to the Ouray area since it worked so well last year. There should also be plenty of trails we have yet to run. As for dates, the Labor Day weekend is good for people getting time off, but there probably won't be much color again. I guess we need to decide, therefore, which is more important - our schedules, or those of the leaves... ;)

Alright we'll call it the CPTO2001 run... Colorado People Time Off run... Like I said I'm open... But I know that the extra day off with pay will help me as well as others... But I guess you're right everything will still be GREEN!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doesn't matter to me when or where it is. Just give me a date and place and I am there. I've never been to colorado so I am looking forward to it.

We could always setup a poll to see which weekend would accomodate the most people. Chris, let me know if you want me to do that.

Oh Boy OH boy.. Could a Chicago boy make this! humm well i am sure going to try my best! i will keep everyone updated.

:smoke:

My truck may be stripped and only 2wd but hey I'll go. Oh and one more thing!! Where is this held at? I've never been to CO and I'll be able to pick up my D 44!!! Thats in Boulder though. Let us all know whats going on. Thanks!!
studdedx

whenever

I am pretty much available whenever just let me know!
I just want there to be as many people as possible!!! I agree with rick on a poll!

Just wondering if there is a limit to the amount of X's that can go. If not I would love to go. Whenever is a good time for me. As for trails I have no Ideas.

Originally posted by Rick
We could always setup a poll to see which weekend would accomodate the most people. Chris, let me know if you want me to do that.

Rick I think that would be a great idea, then this thread won't get so big. Go ahead and get a pole going.

Rick, I agree that a poll is a great idea so we can nail down some dates. Let me know if you need me to do anything. I know the Labor Day weekend is good for people getting off work - and I'm fine with that - but keep in mind a better chance at seeing some actual fall colors will come later in September.

Dates that I already know are out for me are September 27th-30th. But that's getting a bit late, with a greater risk of snow, anyway.

As for location, it appears most people are looking forward to staging in the Ouray area once more. If anyone has other suggestions, get 'em out there right away!

Can anyone give me a town pretty close to where we will be? I figured if i drive 1000 miles, and gas on a high side is 2.25 that is will work out to about 200.00 in gas alone one way.. How much money would one need? Whenever i run i run close to home so i can get away cheap....

We don't know for sure were it will be, but if it is at Ouray look at a map and find Grand Juntion on I-70 and then go straight south to Ouray.

There are plenty of Motels in the area and camping. Last year I don't remember if it was Rick, Gerald, or who but we found a good place for our Saturday evening meal. Ouray is a small town, but there are bigger towns close enough if you need something.

I am going to check work tomorrow, but I don't think Labor Day weekend will work for us.

I would also vote for labor day weekend because that will give me monday off of school and a longer stay in Colorado. I also vote for doing more trails in the Ouray area. There are still many to explore. I really want to do Cunningham Gulch and Stony Pass Trail. I would also like to do Alta Ghost Town trail as well as Maggie and Minnie Gulch. All these trails are in the general Ouray area which I have not done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from what i understand, there were some trails in moab that were do-able by a 2wd xlt with torsion twist and shackels. is there anything that i could do on this run? if so, i will definately be in! sounds like fun!

Back