Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
Run Dates: August 31 - September 3, 2001

Dead Link Removed

A list of trails we plan on running is below! Look for this page to be continually updated until the run...

ARRIVALS:
Thursday
tdavis (not driving - thank goodness - j/k ;))
Rick (no Char :()
mmpc (afternoon)
ExplorAuthorityGal (afternoon)

Friday
Perry (with Teri & Patrick)
rpenner54 (with Maranda)
Asugolf14 (with guest)
Heath (with Tara)
mattadams (with Kristina) (evening)
Darkman (with Tammy) (evening)
Lonewolf
Brian1 (with father) (evening)
go off road
climbnkd (with brother)
MickeySpiers (with girlfriend)
offroader_69_me
darknight (with wife & 4 kids)
Warren Bacus

Saturday
GJarrett (evening)
Joe93 (evening)
TwoToneFordExpl (with friend) (morning)

People Arriving for Day Runs
Rumney (Sunday, Wheeler Lake)
Joe Dietz (???)
rockymtnhi (with fiance) (arrives Sunday afternoon for Monday run)

LODGING:
Most people will be staying at the Quality Inn (http://www3.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/hotel/CO148?sid=oouWM.2V8aKEhxI.8) in Silverthorne, (970) 513-1222. Here are a few campsites if you're interesting in camping:
Heaton Bay - http://www.reserveusa.com/nrrs/co/hea1/
Lowry Campground - http://www.reserveusa.com/nrrs/co/lowr/
Peak 1 - http://www.reserveusa.com/nrrs/co/peak/
And for the RV'ers:
Tiger Run RV Resort in Breckenridge. Unfortunately it's the closest I could find to Silverthorne. Their phone number is (970) 453-9690.

Motel
offroader_69_me
mmpc
ExplorAuthorityGal
Perry
Heath
GJarrett
rpenner54
mattadams
Darkman
Lonewolf
Brian1
go off road
MickeySpiers
darknight
Warren Bacus
TwoToneFordExpl
Joe93
rockymtnhi (Four Points)

Campground
tdavis
Asugolf14 (or condo)
climbnkd

RV Park
Rick

VEHICLE CATEGORY:
Stock/Slight Mod
mmpc
ExplorAuthorityGal
Darkman
Lonewolf (Ranger)
Brian1
climbnkd
go off road
Warren Bacus
TwoToneFordExpl
rockymtnhi

Modified
offroader_69_me
GJarrett
rpenner54
Asugolf14
Heath (congrats on your NEW 3+" lift!!!)
MickeySpiers
darknight
Joe93

Big Dawg
Perry
mattadams (if Perry can do it, so can I!) :)
Rick

MEETING PLACE:
It was brought to my attention that some people may be driving up from Denver for just a day's run. Therefore, here are details for our meeting place/time. The plan is to meet each morning at 8am sharp - leaving for the trails by 8:30am - at the City Market. That's off of Highway 6 on the east side of the road (as a landmark, there's also a Starbucks Coffee in the same shopping center, visible from the highway). From I-70, take the main Silverthorne exit (I believe it's #205). The address for the market is 300 US Highway 6; here's a map (north is to the left on this one):

Dead Link Removed

COMMUNICATIONS:
Just as a reminder, everyone is strongly encouraged to have a functioning CB radio in their truck while running the trails. Incidentally, we'll be using CB Channel 13 unless otherwise announced.

TRAIL ITINERARIES:

SATURDAY: Stockers, Modifieds & Big Dawgs
Beginning the day as a group, we'll take Georgia Pass from Breckenridge (rated moderate, it's trail #50 in Wells' Colorado book vol. 1) to Highway 285, then on to Webster. After that...

Stockers: run Webster Pass (rated moderate/difficult, trail #51).
Modifieds & Big Dawgs: run Red Cone (rated difficult, trail #52). Note: This trail is extremely steep and can be dangerous! Anyone not sure should consider taking Webster Pass with the stockers...

The plan then is for all of us to meet back near the end of Webster Pass, at the base of Red Cone. This should also provide a great photo-taking opportunity - looking up at those decending the very steep Red Cone. From here, anyone choosing to return to their hotel can, by finishing the easy portion of Webster Pass. Those looking for more wheelin' fun will continue on up Radical Hill (not in the Wells book, rated difficult). Stockers may scrape a bit on this one, but you CAN do it (DarkMan & I did) and the view at the end is worthwhile! We'll finish the day by coming down Swan River Road (again, not in the Wells book, rated easy/moderate).

SUNDAY: Stockers - Slight Change!
Will take Shrine Pass Road (rated easy, trail #39) to Ptarmigan Pass (rated moderate, trail #42) and McCallister Gulch (rated moderate, trail #41). We'll then return to Shrine Pass Road and travel to Leadville on pavement (sorry!). Finally, we'll end our day via Mosquito Pass - the highest pass road in North America - (rated moderate, trail #46).

Modifieds & Big Dawgs
Will take Wheeler Lake (rated difficult, trail #43). NOTE: "Confident stockers" may also wish to try this trail; it was pre-run with several stock vehicles up to the point where the trail was blocked by snow (in July). Should the trail get too tough, there are also numerous places where stock vehicles could be parked. Be advised, however, if you choose to try this trail in stock configuration, you will scrape the underside of your vehicle.

MONDAY: Stockers & Modifieds
Mt. Lincoln and Mt. Bross trails (details will be posted shortly)

Big Dawgs
Holy Cross trail. This has yet to be confirmed, but will probably be the trail for this day. Again, more to come shortly...

Not sure what to bring along on the trail? Check out the excellent information compiled by Gerald Jarrett here: http://www.explorer4x4.com/trail_equip.html

So that's the preliminary itinerary for CCR2001. If you have any questions or comments, please post in the "CCR2001 UPDATED!" thread. Thanks!

Dash Plaques will be available for this event for $5.00 ea.

ccr_plaque.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back