CCR2001 UPDATED! | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CCR2001 UPDATED!

Matt, reread my post, I musta been editing it at the same time you were writing yours. I added an edit that for the strictly stocker runs the world won't end. In that situation on a stocker run at non-extreme angles it would be an easy deal to just wrap a strap around there and pretzel his bumper trim to get him out. It'll still cost him a heckuva lot more than ten or twenty bucks to fix that bumper later, though.

What hit my "hot button" and elicited my reaction was the recurring attitude that it's okay to come naked to a run with the pre-conceived plan to depend on all the rest of us (that did come prepared) to bail oneself out. For stockers its a different category and I re-edited that to make it clear. I'm just tired of hearing that attitude, especially since it's cost me lots of enjoyment on several runs that I took the money, time, and trouble to attend; only to find myself spending hours helping extricate another vehicle out of a jam that they got theirself into and was totally unprepared to get out of. As I mentioned in my post, this attitude doesn't seem to crop up in any other sport but this one.

By the way, I hear you're thinking of trying out beginner's skydiving. I'd like to tag along. Can I borrow your reserve shute?

'Ol Krusty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have them (tow hooks ) yet either . I have an appt. tomarrow for the u-joints , and tow hooks if they have time ???

GJarrett

If they don't get them on tomarrow and you would rather I don't show up w/o them , thats cool , I can respect that ..... Realize that this is our first run , and being the rookies that we are we probably will reqiure help here and there and forget somthing here and there .Thats when we will look up to you to teach us the ropes. It's not because we are thinkin' of ourselves , or lazy . Just inexpierenced . I don't mean to carry the subject on , I guess sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. Rand..;)

No you still need to show... Thats not whats being said... Just try really hard not to get stuck and you'll be fine...

If you do get stuck and we have to strap from your frame and your bumper gets dented you just have to be able to live with that... Thats all thats being said...

Ditto Heath.

PLEASE still show up; you'll be on a stocker run and be fine and surrounded by many others more prepared than you are. Once you get bit by the bug and meet us then you'll want to prepare better on your own. Please understand that I am only reacting to the cavalier attitude that I have come across times before that others should have me pay for their own lack of preparation. In the beginning stages it's a whole 'nuther issue. You're beginning and of course you won't have everything that more experienced people will.

Once the bug bites you like it did the rest of us, and you want to join me on a 4 rated trail in Moab and show up without trail gear, THEN you'll get reamed by me.

I can't wait. See you in a couple of days and this will be the best fun you can imagine :D.

Cool

We will see you all around 4 on Sun. Wish we could go sooner . We'll be the 2 in the Orange Sport . Have fun :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by mattadams
hey now, this time it wasn't my fault (at least I don't think it was) so those lesbian karaoke singers have got me all to themselves this weekend, ha ha ha.

Matt didn't do anything to scare me away or piss me off. My grandpa died on Monday night, it was in his sleep so he didn't have any pain. But that means I have to come up late Saturday night after the funeral and family stuff is done. You can still give Matt all the crap that you want though.

I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday morning morning seeing as I won't be getting into Silverthrone till late (10-midnight is what I figure). I figure that you all will be sleeping by then. But maybe not with this group. Anyways, I will see you all this weekend. Have Fun!!

Get a couple D-rings and you're good to go...

Installing front tow hooks on a 91-94 takes some doing to get them in a usable location. If you don't have them, go to your local farm store and get a couple D-rings that will bolt through an existing hole in the frame. D-rings are like a U-shaped clevis with a bolt across the top of the U. Look for a suitable hole on your frame and get the biggest D-ring that will fit through the hole.

Kristina, I sent you an email but in case you check this before your email... we'll see you late saturday night, though if you can try and get out earlier (and I can understand if you can't) Saturday night (I think) is when we're having the big group dinner, and they will be showing some video I think you'll enjoy, as well as some (hopefully) excellent grub. Check out the tread "CCR2001 Itinerary" for directions and so forth.

Kristina, my condolences regarding the passing of your grandfather...

My post was all about giving Matt a hard time. He has come to expect this and I would not like to let him down... ;)

Damn Gerald! I for one was brought up taking absolutly nothing with me when we went wheeling. Heck we went wheeling alone for years! If you got stuck you had to stack rocks to get out. My dad has been doing it that way since the 60's. Same with my Grandpa (Who doesn't anymore since he is to old!) Heck back when they had their CJ6(new) they went all the way up Holy Cross. Course it was easier back then.

As far as what to bring. Just be prepared with warm clothes! LOL I was up there thursday night (Work trip) and it got nice and cold and dumped on us for about 20 minutes.

If you don't have a tow hook damn near half of the rest of us will be able to finger out a way to get you setup. Its really not that hard. I ran without a towhook up until Moab, and that was the first time I ever even needed one! Plus if you don't have em on the front you can always get yanked backwards and give it a front go again.

I took out my last sentence Gerald. Maranda was kicking my ass about it. :)

Jared no apology is needed and if any is, it should be on my part. What I said was not directed toward you personally.

To you and Ryan and others, I hope I made clear that on a stocker run with this big of a group it is a somewhat different issue and you can get away with not being as prepared as you need to be on other runs that are on more difficult trails and/or in a smaller group. You are just beginning; you shouldn't be expected to have everything.

I admit I kicked the dog a bit and lashed out, but I hope everyone understands that it wasn't anything personal at all but rather toward an attitude that seems to show up in many people. It just happened to hit a hot button with me because I have lost a whole afternoon of wheeling before when a simple bit of preparation on one single person's part would have allowed a half dozen of the rest of us to enjoy the trip we drove a hundred miles or more for, instead of nursemaiding the one who held us all back. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Remember I have a new model with no decent towpoint either, so the funny thing is that I don't have a front tow hook either! But I took the trouble to figure out a way to connect a strap to me for a front tow. And I've been towed more than once.

Ryan I know that stuff happens on a run usually all the time and it is all part of fourwheeling. And we all enjoy the stories of the whoops and the troubles and the other stuff that always occur. And yes you can wheel alone up Holy Cross and break an axle and spend a day hiking back down to town with no water and etc, but it seems to me that it would be more fun if you take the steps to avoid having to do that.

When I take the trouble to travel so far and spend so much to run a trail, I prefer to return home with the memory and photos of having run the trail, rather than having not run the trail because we spent hours stuck in a single mudhole, or etc. As you know, stuff will ALWAYS happen and break and etc so it just seems to make sense to me to come prepared for it. It really does perplex me that so many don't seem to think that way too. Oh well, we are all different and that's what makes this an interesting world. I reread my post and I am sorry for having jumped on it so hard. It's a new day now :)

I can't wait to see all of you tomorrow :bounce:

Heading out now!! *WAGONS HO*

On the way out of town, I think I'm going to stop and get a gal dern tow hook. :p

Just kidding. I use a clevis, but I do need a second one, so I don't have to switch it back and forth.

See you soon.

Channel 13.

I'm all set, got almost all of the stuff on the list, installing my CB in about 30 minutes, and I'll be leaving at about 4-4:30 Sat. morning! Can't wait to see you all there!

Channel 13....

Almost Ready!!!

Just finishing getting everything ready. Me and LLSTRIKES96 will be leaving tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see you all!!

I am so F-ing pissed right now. Ok well It looks like I won't Be there Saturday Morning, but in the afternoon.
To make a long story short my thermostat is broke and the store is closed so I can't get a new one till they open at 8 am. So I will leave after I get that changed.
I doubt anyone will read this, but if anyone does I have not skipped out on CCR I will just be arriving later then I thought. Where can I meet you guy's after you run your trails for the dinner?

Joe93: sorry to hear about your truck! Mine's been acting up as well, but fortunately it's nothing major - no compression going downhill in 1st gear. Just means I'll have to use the brakes more...

Anyway, the best place for you to meet all of us is at the Quality Inn. Scroll up a few posts (pages) and you'll find directions to get there. We're debuting the Moab video there at 6:45pm tonight, then on to dinner at the Dillon Dam Brewery.

Hope everything else with your trip goes smoothly - like traffic! See you soon...

I also had car problems this morning and I am about to head out right now. I hope I can catch the moab video in time. Anyways, I will be there in about an hour and a half from now, if anyone is on their cb, I'll be cruising in at about 6:45-7:15, channel 13. If you guys read this, lemme know over CB where to go, I'll be checking into the hotel right when I get there.

See you soon

Well everyone that was a great experience. I will never forget it. This was my first SE run and I hope that many more will come. It was great meeting everyone and seeing the ones I already knew again. This was a learning experience for me, never ran a trail like that before. Surprised I made it with out any major troubles, besides my X falling off the trail. I would like to thank Perry and Heath for teaching me knew things and spotting me. A verry special thanks for everyone that helped me get out of my little situation. Sorry about the X Dark Night, atleast you and evryone else was ok. I had a great time and can't wait to run with everyone again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back