• Register Today It's free!

CD-cassette HU question....

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Sure could use some advise….

I want to change my factory HU ( reason - the display lighting is kaput ). I would also like to keep the factor 6 disc changer; but know this is probably not possible,

I really like the fact that I can use a single CD in the HU as well as the casette ( I am on the road often and like books on tape ).

What do you guys recommend for a HU? It could be a casette only HU with changer controls.

Also a remote is essential.

Help, please….

I was told at the time of getting my new HU that I could not run the factory changer any longer. I counted the # of times I had used the tape deck on 1 finger, so.. I ditched the tape deck all together, if you want to keep the tape AND have a CD changer, you could either go with a straight tape deck and buy a new changer, or get perhaps a double din aftermarket, I beleive it is alpine that makes the tape/CD HU

hope that helped

I would go for the stock ford cd/tape head unit. It will be a compatible swap. I put the CD/tape head unit out of a 98 Explorer into my 95 explorer and I love it. Like you I love the best of both worlds. Try to buy it off someone on this message board. You don't need to do any mods to get it to work like I had to do. It's a simple swap. I know if you try to buy it from the stealership they will charge you around 400 so try to hunt one down on this board.

Back