CEL Codes I got! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer Expedition. Check Engine light has been coming on for years, and the bulb finally burned out about a year ago! Well I replaced the bulb today and finally use the wire trick to get my codes. Here is what I got the first time,

(KOEO) 111 327 631 327 631 1 327 327

So If I figure this right these are my codes

327-EGR feedback signal is/was low - EVR or PFE
631-Overdrive Cancel Light circuit problem - Transmissions

Here is codes for KOER

(KOER) 111 6327538536632116327538536632

And for this I figured these codes?

632-E4OD - Transmission Control Switch (TCS) should be cycled once between engine ID and Goose test
753-I DONT KNOW
853-I DONT KNOW
663-I DONT KNOW
211-Ignition PIP signal was erratic or missing - Ignition Systems

Now I figured I don't have the right codes here because there is no such thing as the 3 above, so I redid it correctly I guess and got these codes for KOER

(KOER) 11 6327632116327632
So what codes would this be?!?

And my other question is, what does this mean? 631-Overdrive Cancel Light circuit problem - Transmissions

ALSO, after this was done I pressed the throttle to do that test, after that test was complete the CEL flashed 9 times, then 9 times again. What does that mean??

Which of these codes would keep my engine light on, it turns on after about 20 seconds of driving. My O/D light does not turn on at all, and might also be burned out, would that have anything to do with that code. I finally get all these codes and just don't know where to start! Anyone that can help me, I appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
No one? Really?

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
So I changed the bulb on the O/D light today, and have figured out it is not the bulb. What else could it be. Does anyone know what "Overdrive cancel Light Circuit problem" means?

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
So I changed the bulb on the O/D light today, and have figured out it is not the bulb. What else could it be. Does anyone know what "Overdrive cancel Light Circuit problem" means?

Look for a broken/rubbed open wire in the steering column that feeds the Overdrive button/light at the end of the shift lever.

Also, go to Advance/AutoZone/whoever and have them hook up a code reader. They will generally do this for free and either tell you or give you a printout with the actual code numbers (eg P0174, etc). Far more reliable than trying to count flashes. Good luck.

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
Well i opened up the steering column and looked for both my problems and found them. The wires are horrible in there! Going to look for a new wiring harness. Wires are pretty loose and bare on some of them.

I did take my truck to autozone for the CEL, but they told me they don't have a scan tool, because they didn't start doing OBD II until 96, which is true, because I used the OBD II we have at work and it wouldn't work. So I did the test doing the paper clip thing!

Thanks for your help :)

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
Well i opened up the steering column and looked for both my problems and found them. The wires are horrible in there! Going to look for a new wiring harness. Wires are pretty loose and bare on some of them.

I did take my truck to autozone for the CEL, but they told me they don't have a scan tool, because they didn't start doing OBD II until 96, which is true, because I used the OBD II we have at work and it wouldn't work. So I did the test doing the paper clip thing!

Thanks for your help :)

Sorry - I didn't notice that you have a 95 and are therefore OBDI. Counting flashes is a PITA! Good luck.