• Register Today It's free!

CEL, Codes, TPS

Pissant22

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Yesterday my truck's idle was actin really funny, so I suspected the TPS and sure enough it eventually threw a check engine light and went to Autozone, I think the code was something like 124, which said the Throttle Position Sensor was receiving too much voltage. It did not act up in 2 other trips of driving it around. I know I could just replace the whole TPS, which is just under $30, but I do not want to replace it if that is not the reason this voltage increase is occuring.

If you have any ideas of a potential other causes please let me know, and if a replacement TPS is most likely the fix, then I will be purchasing one and putting it on Friday.

Side note, my engine threw another code which it had thrown about 2 years ago, which was like 341 I think, and it has to do with Octane Pin or something like that. I was told this was a dealer service which they made an error on and didn't do. I was wondering if anyone had more info or a clarification on this.

Thank you for your time and help.

-Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to assume the 124 is a CM code and not a KOEO code.
I would start with a wiring diagram and a voltmeter. Make sure Vref is ~5V. Then make sure the TPS signal changes smoothly. TPS is basically a variable resistor.

How do you guys check the codes? Is there some wires or something that needs to be connected to get the light to flash the codes on the dashboard? If so, where is it located? Thanks.

You can't beat a scanner!

-Drew

brexplorer said:
How do you guys check the codes? Is there some wires or something that needs to be connected to get the light to flash the codes on the dashboard? If so, where is it located? Thanks.
On our EEC-IV/OBD1 Explorers, it is as easy as jumpering STI to SIG RET or ground. On your 2000, which is EEC-V/OBD2, you'll need a scanner or code reader to get codes.

Mr. Shorty, is that the same answer for a 1995 model? ;)

There are some '95 models that that have the OBDII system in them, only because they were produced later in the model year when the '96's were just hitting the assembly lines.

So you could have either one, but it is more than likely that you have OBDI.

I wish I had a picture of the large socket with all the pins and the STO connector itself but have not been able to find the STI stand-alone plug in order to get the KOEO/R codes from the dash.
There is a cover for the larger socket (where it's attached to the relay box) on the right hand, rear side of the engine compartment.
There is a little wire from the underside of the larger socket which looks like it may have a plug on the end but I can't get it removed from under the cover, unfortunately.
Lastly, it appears as though there are pin holes in the cover for, placement of perhaps, a wire to test or short the circuit, which seems like it would make this whole process way too easy if they are pinned for such self testing.

Does this make sense to anyone and can that person help me get the codes from a 1995, March Mfg., Explorer XLT?

TIA

A decent set of instructions, including diagrams of the self-test connectors can be found at www.troublecodes.net/Ford
If I remember right, on my dad's '95, the self-test connectors were on the driver's side near the back of the engine compartment. Only looked at his once, and I don't remember how the connectors plugged into that little cover, but I do remember they came out so we could pull codes.

Back