• Register Today It's free!

CEL help! Codes Listed

fedfireguy

Reaction score
City, State
LaCrosse, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EddieBauer
Hey All! In need of help diagnosing my CEL. Got the codes from AutoZone.
1996 Explorer XLT

PO171
PO174
P1131
P1151
PO300
PO301

Autozone thought it is either MAF sensor or one of the O2S', but were unable to say for sure. Engine runs rough at startup until engine is warm. Then seems to run ok but has a definite power loss.

Any Help is greatly appreciated!!

FEDFIREGUY
LAX, WI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, bunch of codes, Fireguy.

The first two indicate lean on both banks. I'd first clean the MAF and see if that helps. (Also possibility of leaking intake gaskets).

The second two indicate no switching on both upstream O2 sensors. No switching usually means the sensors are indeed bad, or are experiencing a very lean condition......

The last two are misfire codes, one random and one for cyl #1. New plugs and wires should clear those.

I'd clean the MAF, and install new plugs/wires, and see if the other codes disappear before changing the O2s. Snugging down the intake manifold bolts might help too, although new gaskets may be needed.....

Good luck,
ROE

Looks like great information. Thanks! I will get to work on this and get back to you on how things worked out.

Thanks Again!!

Fedfireguy

I've got the same problem

I am not sure if it is MAF or MAP whatever it is because I dont have any thing that looks like MAF like the mustang 4.6 or older 4.0 ohv or the 4.0 SOHC. i have a part that looks almost like a GM MAP sensor but It is running kinda rough at cold start and run ok when warm but everytime u turn off then turn back on it will run rough again no matter how cold or warm it is.. is it MAP? 49.95 for another one from advance. let me know.

Results.... Disconnnected the battery. Removed MAF sensor - More involved removal than my '00 V8. Cleaned with electronics cleaner and Q-tip. Plugs (autolite platinum) and wires (wells) changed - lots of fun :fire: . Most everything reassembled. I left out the screen in the air tube prior to the MAF sensor. I figured my V8 has nothing restricting air flow why should this?? Let me know if it needs to be put back in to prevent any damage!! Reconnected battery and fired it up. Runs Great! CEL is off and has remained off for a 5 mile test drive. This is a backup vehicle, so it is parked until duty calls.

Thanks for all the tips. Appears everything worked out perfectly!!

FEDFIREGUY
LAX, WI

Does it have the SOHC or the OHV?

PS. I am from Stevens Point... Now in MA... A firefighter too...

Two big thumbs up for Runnin on Empty! Good call.

FFE, glad you got it fixed. :thumbsup: The filter should catch any debris before it comes near the MAF; the screen is probably unnecessary if it runs OK.....

And thanks for the consideration, Glacier. Blind hogs do indeed find acorns occasionally.
:)

Cllns96, just noticed your post. If you don't have a MIL on, I'd clean the IAC first, and maybe the MAF, and go from there. Doubt if the MAP is bad with those symptoms.....

The MAF is mounted in the air tube, downstream from the air filter housing.

ROE.... other than your Southeastern location counting against you - like Jeff Foxworthy said the accent alone makes folks want to deduct 30 IQ points (it's squirrels not HAWG's in my neck of the woods) you are one of the better diagnosticians on this board. To anyone reading this thread... let me tell you this board has dozens of really knowledgeable and bright folks. ROE is in the top of that list.

Glacier, your kind words are making my head swell so much that my 'CAT' ball cap won't fit anymore. Deserved or not, thanks again. And your transmission help is legendary on this board.

Speaking of Jeff Foxworthy, here's some sayings of his. This is WAY off topic, but funny nonetheless.
"You might be a redneck if you think fast food is running over a possum at 65 miles an hour".

ROE - Thanks again for the help

JP450 = The '96 XLT actually belongs to a buddy. I dont know which engine it was.. sohc/ohv... other than V6. But I can find out if theres something you need. It's still parked at my house.
I'm running a '00 EB 5.0 awd. 106k so far and plan to run'er till she dies!

FFG

Back