• Register Today It's free!

Cel

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
alrite... heres what i got. a 94 eb x that has a f-in mind of its own.

so for the past few months ive had a CEL that has been coming on and then going off. keeps happening. when i first got the truck 4 yrs ago it would come on if i hid a big bump but turns back off when ever i shut the truck off. now, it stays on all the time. ive had it scanned for codes but everytime i get the damn thing scanned it dosent show a damn thing is wrong with it or the diagnostic tool dosent pick anything up.

does anyone have any idea what i should do. its drivin me crazy just knowing the CEL is one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the jumper method to read your own codes....you just need a small piece of wire, or a paperclip, search for how to read your own codes, its really easy then post the codes and we can try and help

thanks man. ill try that torommow when i get off work

ok... couldnt wait till after work tomorrow...tried the cheater way with the wire. forgive me tho if the codes dont turn out right, its been a long nite with buddy-weiser :}

1-111-111 first code?

1-1-1111 second code?

111-1-1111 third code?

11-1-1111 fourth code?

not sure it all went by so fast and out of sequence with half lit flashes that it was kinda hard to tell if these were the codes or not. lol had to do it like four times to try and get something that might work. if you guys can help it would be very much apreciated.
thanks to anyone that does!

anyone ????????

I can't make sense of it either. Here's how I would interpret those pulses:

1 - fast codes. ignore.

111-111-1 KOEO 331 -- not in code list
1-1111-111 KOEO 143 -- not in code list
1-1111-11 KOEO 142 -- not in code list
1-1111??? KOEO 14? -- incomplete

Nothing stands out as a separator pulse, either, so, overall the test seems incomplete.

Since you're having trouble, I might suggest you get video of the test and post it. There are a couple of videos posted elsewhere (at least one is in my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" thread). You might look at those videos and how those were interpreted.

If you are having a lot of "half" flashes, you might double check your jumper wire connection and make sure it is good.

I can't make sense of it either. Here's how I would interpret those pulses:

1 - fast codes. ignore.

111-111-1 KOEO 331 -- not in code list
1-1111-111 KOEO 143 -- not in code list
1-1111-11 KOEO 142 -- not in code list
1-1111??? KOEO 14? -- incomplete

Nothing stands out as a separator pulse, either, so, overall the test seems incomplete.

Since you're having trouble, I might suggest you get video of the test and post it. There are a couple of videos posted elsewhere (at least one is in my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" thread). You might look at those videos and how those were interpreted.

If you are having a lot of "half" flashes, you might double check your jumper wire connection and make sure it is good.

thanks for the help man. yeah is stupid... even at the ford dealership all the codes showed up as nothing as well. even if i try to reset the codes the CEL comes back on as soon as i fire her up. dosent run bad tho

redo the test imo, most of those codes don't make since when compared to the code charts, which is really odd. If you re-run the test keep in mind that the first light you see after you start the test is fast codes that are useless to help us with diag. Codes should go in order, with each one having 3 digits.

ok... yeah ill try that again tomorrrow after i get my new fuel pump put in.or hopefully since i had a gas leak and now its fixed the CEL will go off. idk but ill try again and repost.

Gas leaks typically won't cause a CEL.

yeah i kinda figure that. the wierd part was, last summer around labor day my water pump went out and i was getting ready to goup north to my cabin for a two week vacation. didnt have the time or money to blow on the x. so i drove my f-150. i had to come back for work adn since i filled the x up right b4 the trip it had a full tank of gas. so i pulled off the filler neck tube at the tank and got gas out.

kinda going to in depth but b4 the water pump and b4 sifening gas out there was no CEL. CEL didint come on until the whole front end was buttend up.

?????? kinda wierd that it came on after work was done with nothing electrical.

Hmm... I wonder if you didn't get the filler neck properly seated when you reinstalled it. I'm not sure about pre-OBDII vehicles, but a loose gas cap, a loose filler neck, et cetera on newer vehicles can result in an evap system leak code. My '00 Mustang GT threw an evap code once every week or so and then it would go off. I could always smell raw fuel when I parked or sometimes while I had my windows down. I ended up selling the car before I got a chance to look at the entire fuel system, but I did rule out the gas cap and the injectors.

ok... didi the test again without the help of budweiser and the codes i got was

hope these codes might mean something close to whats in the books

hmm thats still really odd. you shouldn't be pulling 2 and 3 digit codes. EEC IV should have one or the other in your case, it should be all 3 digit codes.

on a side not code 33 is an Idle air control issue, and 214 comes up as a cid circuit error.

yeah... im not jokeing around this truck really seems to have a mind all on its own wit all the wierd things it did. i did the test a couple times with the jumper wire and tried it with the scanner. with th scanner pluged in tho the CEL light would go off, but with jumper wire i got the codes.

as far as idel air control issue what would i be looking for to solve that problem?

bah, my bad, 33 is egr not opening or responding. But again on a 94 eb, you shouldn't be getting 2 digit codes at all.

214 is cylinder identification circuit failure... indicates a problem with the Coil packs, crank shaft position sensor, or ecm. Could be an intermittent problem.

ok... if 214 is the culpret a new coil pack was just put in last fall ( second one in four yrs), new crankshaft position sensor last spring ( second one in 3 yrs) and as far as ecm do you know a ballpark range on price. thinkg i might go to scrap yard and get an extra just in case.

yea and right b4 i posted my last post i went to autozone again to try and get them to read it and the diphole up there was trying to tell me the whole wireing system in my truck was F**KED and that a jumper wire gives you no codes. his fellow coworker told me it could be a cam pos/ sensor. i sure as hell hope they were wrong, just called around and found one at pepboys for around $400. holy ****
i didnt even know my X has a cam pos/ sensor. i sure as hell cant find it.

just because you've replaced the coil pack and crank sensor doesn't mean there's not an issue with the wiring to either of those units.

As for an ecm, I would definitely look at getting one from the bone yard, they don't usually fail. But I would recommend testing the wiring related to the CID issue before throwing parts at it.

ok thanks. i know the thing has some sort a wireing problem with some different shorts and such. i have the Chiltons manual and il look thru it today when i get home from work and see what they tell me to do to test all my electrical components.
its always had kind of a miss when it runs but idels really smooth. not to much to wory about but today i was at a stoplight and kinda punched it at the light to get to work and it kinda tried to stall but regained power and took off. so many damn quirks.

ive just seen yur from utah... im going to posibly moveing to grand junction, co.f or a truck thats been at low elivation its whole life is there any problems i might face going thru the moutains with the high elivation. biggest worry is eisenhower tunnel at 11,000 feet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not that I know of with the alt thing, but I bought my ex here in utah. the computer should be able to compensate for the alt changes as you drive. I do however have to run 89 octane fuel when loaded and climbing hills or I get a nasty ping. so that might be something to consider thru the higher elevation climbs

Back