Cell Phone Display to Radio Display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cell Phone Display to Radio Display

lmarkie74

Reaction score
City, State
Morganton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Ford Explorer, XLS
Hello Everyone,

I like using google maps on my cell phone, but it would be nice to have the cell phone display shown on my Radio. My vehicle is a 2013 Ford Explorer. "SYNC Services"

Is there anyway to do this? Maybe wired?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Upgrade to SYNC 3 and use CarPlay or Android Auto.

I like using google maps on my cell phone, but it would be nice to have the cell phone display shown on my Radio. My vehicle is a 2013 Ford Explorer. "SYNC Services"

Is there anyway to do this?

As others have pointed out, this cannot be done with SYNC 2 which is the version installed on this particular vehicle. I own a 2013 Explorer Limited and the only workaround without spending $2000 in changing the system to SYNC 3 has been to purchase an HDMI to RCA converter ($25) and a lightning to HDMI adaptor ($45 for iPhones) which has allowed me to mirror my screen. The only caveat is that you cannot use it while the car is in motion (i.e. not on PARK position). Meaning you would need to purchase a $250 NAVIKS cable for "video in motion bypass" -- this is plug and play, so it could be worth it.

I'm presently thinking about using FORscan with an OBDLink EX (this is a ELM327 adaptor) as I read that might work out and would be a much cheaper option (the software is free plus a $30-50 USB wired adapter) also I'm interested in using FORscan for other purposes. However, I have yet to try it out because of this lockdown. If I make it work, I'll be posting results here.

Should it work, I'm looking at a workaround under or around $100. Else, with the NAVIKS cable, it amounts to $315 and it should work as shown on their YouTube video (also available on their website) specifically working in a 2013 Ford Explorer. In this option, which I haven't tried out in motion but while parked, you are mirroring your iPhone screen, so you'd be able to use Waze, Maps or whichever app you have running on your phone, as well as videos. Much cheaper than forking out two grand but it has issues like everything has to be manually selected directly from the phone itself. No steering wheel/screen options while SYNC 3 allows you to use your touch screen to change between apps -- so far I've only seen videos showing how Waze integrates nicely while having the iPhone plugged in (mainly because it's my go to maps app).

Hope that provides further info and helps you a bit in making a decision!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back