Cell Phone Mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cell Phone Mount

tryan1977

Reaction score
Looking for a cell phone mount for my 2011 Explorer and Samsung Mesmerize. I dont want one that has a suction cup for the windshield or the one that clamps to the vent. What i prefer is one that can be hard mounted to the frame on the dash.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased the ProClip mount for my iPhone 4. Comes in two pieces. One custom for your vehicle, and one for your device. Not inexpensive (the combo probably set me back $80) but it's the most solid mount I've tried. No vibration or movement at all on my EX. I could remove it in a few seconds if I wanted to, but I never do.

I have a generic mount for any phone that sits in the cup holder. Got it on amazon.

I just slip my phone into the right side of the gear shift boot. fits nicely.

I have a generic mount for any phone that sits in the cup holder. Got it on amazon.

On a recent road trip, one of my brother-in-laws rode in the front passenger seat and put a lighter in what he thought was a nook but was actually the door handle (which of course is open at the bottom). So plop it went right on the floor bouncing under the seat... that didn't go well. :bsnicker:

Hate to say that I live on Amazon and there's all sorts of "holders" available. I've seen umbrella holders that hook around the headrest (but they seem to be shown for use in the 2nd row).

Have you seen a holder for the Explorer that fits into that door handle? This is where my wife and I have always put our cell phones, and the "Sync" cubby under the radio is a great place to forget them. They slip right out of the door handle.

Have you seen a holder for the Explorer that fits into that door handle? This is where my wife and I have always put our cell phones, and the "Sync" cubby under the radio is a great place to forget them. They slip right out of the door handle.

So far I've only seen a cell holder that was fitted for a cup holder. It it is made like a regular cup holder insert but is made of rubberized material, and it has slits in the middle where you can slide in a couple cells & some pens.

One idea might be to try one of those small dashboard anti-slip cellphone/coin mats and cut it to size to fit/secure into the handle slot. Alternately take one of those, cut it to size, and secure it on the bottom of the handle opening.

I hear ya about using that area for storage because I forgot about using the same space on my Escape's door. With the Ex, between the center console and the front console, I've had enough space to put my stuff and so far haven't made the mistake of dropping something through the door handle. :D

So far I've only seen a cell holder that was fitted for a cup holder. It it is made like a regular cup holder insert but is made of rubberized material, and it has slits in the middle where you can slide in a couple cells & some pens.

One idea might be to try one of those small dashboard anti-slip cellphone/coin mats and cut it to size to fit/secure into the handle slot. Alternately take one of those, cut it to size, and secure it on the bottom of the handle opening.

I hear ya about using that area for storage because I forgot about using the same space on my Escape's door. With the Ex, between the center console and the front console, I've had enough space to put my stuff and so far haven't made the mistake of dropping something through the door handle. :D

Here's what I did for my phone. Integrates right in. Take trim off next to MFT. Unscrew one screw on right of MFT, insert the Panavise mount, screw back in and it is screwed in tightly. Phone holder then attaches to the mount. Sturdy at the perfect angle for the driver.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pvp-75107-211?seid=srese1&gclid=CM6d1v_-zb8CFWMQ7AodlCQA8g

Here's what I did for my phone. Integrates right in. Take trim off next to MFT. Unscrew one screw on right of MFT, insert the Panavise mount, screw back in and it is screwed in tightly. Phone holder then attaches to the mount. Sturdy at the perfect angle for the driver.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pvp-75107-211?seid=srese1&gclid=CM6d1v_-zb8CFWMQ7AodlCQA8g

I recall seeing that mount last year when researching mounts for my Escape since I was streaming SiriusXM on my phone (didn't want to go through the hassle of installing the car kit and also because the dash and console areas didn't have any good flat areas to add a peel & stick base for a mount). I just slid the phone in the handle slot and made due. By the time I had considered that almost-flush mount, I was in the market for a new car. In the Ex, I end up putting the phone in one of the consoles if I need it nearby and the car has the satellite radio tuner built in.

I recall seeing that mount last year when researching mounts for my Escape since I was streaming SiriusXM on my phone (didn't want to go through the hassle of installing the car kit and also because the dash and console areas didn't have any good flat areas to add a peel & stick base for a mount). I just slid the phone in the handle slot and made due. By the time I had considered that almost-flush mount, I was in the market for a new car. In the Ex, I end up putting the phone in one of the consoles if I need it nearby and the car has the satellite radio tuner built in.

Whatever works for people is what works.

I have never liked OEM Nav on any vehicle make/model. I love Google Maps/Nav. Having the phone next to the MFT allows me to easily see the map on the phone while directions are streamed over the the speakers. Can just voice command my destination over Bluetooth.

Also, 90% of my music listening is the 2,000 plus songs on my cell. While I can change to the next song streaming music over Bluetooth from my cell with the steering wheel button, I still have to touch the phone to change playlists, so that is a convenient location for the phone while driving for me - plus it is nice to have the album art in front of you and passengers for each song that comes up as it does not transfer tot he MFT for Bluetooth streaming (does with a USB) - at least with my phone.

If I did not use the phone for theses features, probable would not see the need to mount it like I did.

I got a mount that suction cups to the windshield. I think it was like $7 on amazon, works good when I'm using the nav on my phone.

I have used Panavice and ProClip mounts and Personally I prefer the ProClip. They have a wide variety of mounts and I was just able to get one that fits my iPhone 5s with a Mophie battery pack. Fits like a glove and easy to use even single handed.

As someone mentioned earlier not the cheapest but is a quality product. And yes they make mounts for the iPad as well locking and non-locking.

I have used Panavice and ProClip mounts and Personally I prefer the ProClip. They have a wide variety of mounts and I was just able to get one that fits my iPhone 5s with a Mophie battery pack. Fits like a glove and easy to use even single handed.

As someone mentioned earlier not the cheapest but is a quality product. And yes they make mounts for the iPad as well locking and non-locking.

I looked at ProClip, and would have gotten one with an iPhone (or iPad), but the Panavise holder works with my HTC phone. I'm just got used to Android and never have used Apple.

The suction ones mentioned above are fine. I just think they look out of place. I like something integrated into the dash that is sturdy and secure. No bulky mounts when the mount is a piece of metal designed just for your car that fits in a grove in the molding and screws into an interior MFT screw.

Yeah, the whole set-up cost me $50 with the metal mount and phone holder. Have one for my Saab too, but I like where it is positioned and how it fits in.

Thanks for pointing out the Panavise option. Looking at their web site and Summit web site, I find the bracket that would fit my Ford Edge. However, I don't find any actual phone holders that would mount to the bracket (Samsung S4).

Where do I find the phone holders that would work with the mount?

Panavice makes the mount but not physical holders. Go to Proclip and check their holders they make them for virtually every phone out there. You can then use the mount you want.

Thanks for pointing out the Panavise option. Looking at their web site and Summit web site, I find the bracket that would fit my Ford Edge. However, I don't find any actual phone holders that would mount to the bracket (Samsung S4).

Where do I find the phone holders that would work with the mount?

Panavice makes the mount but not physical holders. Go to Proclip and check their holders they make them for virtually every phone out there. You can then use the mount you want.

Panavise makes holders too. I have them with my Panavise mounts in two cars.

There are other Panavise models of holders, but I like and use this one:

http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=241

Shop/Google around by the model #. You can probably get it for less than from Panavise direct.

Thanks, I'll look into both those phone holder options from Panavise and Proclip.

Hi, here is my solution for my galaxy note 3. Use a couple of neodymium rare earth magnets! Cost me about less that $10 for the magnets.

PhotoGrid_1405892113057_zpscrkjpgoh.jpg

I have a ProClip and love it. Mine mounts to the right of the A/C controls. I just installed one in my wife's new car too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, here is my solution for my galaxy note 3. Use a couple of neodymium rare earth magnets! Cost me about less that $10 for the magnets.

I saw a similar mount called "Steelie" and was pretty interested until I read some reviews.

The magnets can interfere with the GPS and the motherboard in the phone. Also can wipe out credit cards, room keys, work key cards, etc if the phone with the magnets is placed too close to your wallet.

I wasn't willing to take a chance on having any damage done so I decided to skip on using magnets. Glad to hear yours has been no problem as have other reviews I've read.

Back